SX-1010; protecting it through surge protector?

philbobilbo

I know I've read in the past that it's not a good idea to run an amp through a UPS for protection, but what about a power/line conditioner? I have a Panamax, and would like to protect this baby as much as possible. Seeing as there is no third ground wire on the receiver, I'm wondering if "protecting" it will do much good. Your thoughts?

A done deal, EW! At least I have protection now. Short of direct lightning strike, I'd say I've done the best I can for it.

philbobilbo said:
I know I've read in the past that it's not a good idea to run an amp through a UPS for protection, but what about a power/line conditioner? I have a Panamax, and would like to protect this baby as much as possible. Seeing as there is no third ground wire on the receiver, I'm wondering if "protecting" it will do much good. Your thoughts?

I'm gonna play dumb. Why no surge protector?
Mike

lightening strike

I will never forget the smell of a burned up SX1980 from a powered surge caused by a lightening strike or the unprotected Duntech tube powered subs :no:

Mike Bama said:
I'm gonna play dumb. Why no surge protector?
Mike

I'm referring Mike to UPS (Uninterruptible Power Supplies) more than a surge protector. Reason is because UPS home units are rated at typical low VA (350-500) and I believe if sent through a UPS when the volume is cranked, the UPS will fail because it can't handle the situation. I know from a computer standpoint you should never plug in a vacuum cleaner into a UPS and ESPECIALLY if you have a computer running and plugged into it at the same time for the same reasons. I guess if you have a monster UPS, then you could do it, but a big one would cost almost as much as a whole stereo (depending upon your taste and budget in stereo).

I lost everything I owned in 2000 from a very close lightening strike. I had lightining arresters on the power line comming to the house and poppers for every circuit in the panel box plus I had 4in air gaps (Argon gas) on all antenna stuff comming in. All professionaly installed. . . new ground rods at key areas. . . on and on. My area was well known for lightening. . . Total cost was over 2000.00 for lightening protection when all said and done.

6AM one morning just as my wife was walking out the back door. . . BOOM. . . glass breaking and total darkness. . . It turned all the wires behind the stereo and TV inside out. . .Blew a hole in the ceiling and floor, completly destroyed every outlet on that side of the house including the panel box. Welded my well pump into the well casing so I had to dig a new deep well. . . Welded the phone line to the sattelite modem even though it was unplugged but laying on the floor about an inch from where it goes.

It pays to be careful and study what you are doing. Make sure you know how to use your stuff correctly. The only thing it did not destroy was the TV and I guess that was a fluke. The repair man said it got tickled but was OK. . . I ended up getting rid of it as it had peculiar troubles afterwards. . .

Lightening and power surges/brown outs are serious, dont assume anything. . .

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom