Sx-1010

mea2112

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
I've got a SX-838 that I really like a lot but I've got a chance to get a SX-1010. I know the 1010 has twice as much power, I think 110wpc compared to 50wpc, but I was just wondering if any of you guys that have both models could say whether or not there's a really big difference sound-wise between the two? Or, are they relatively close?

I'd say they are pretty close in sound. The Sx 1010 is legendary and alot seem to think its the only one to go for in this series. Pioneer just went full tilt on the top models just for bragging rights. The best sellers were the mid models.

Hey I can't comment on a sound comparison between the 2 but the bottom line is if you have the opportunity to acquire a nice SX-1010 at a good price, irriegardless of any other circumstances I would recommend JUMPING ON IT!!! :yes:

I recently sold a mint one on Ebay for $425.00 about 3 months ago. NICE ones are VERY desirable and thats why I say if you can get a nice one at a fair price it would be in your best interest to do so.

RocknRoll said:
How much of a great deal is it? I would'nt and you should'nt pay over $200 for a mint one.

That's being silly. A MINT one is worth FAR MORE than that. It is, AFTER ALL, a legendary Receiver and the first TRUE Monster Receiver. Just cutting yourself off at $200.00 seems rather arbitrary to me.

Why would you desire to pay more than you should? Has anybody on this board paid $300 or $400 for an sx 1010? My bet is most were free to $200 with very few past that.

I paid $225 for the one I sold for $425.00 the Pioneer monster receiver market is, to say the least, volatile and the times- "they ere a changin'". What SX-1010's went for 2 years ago or 1 year for that matter, probably isn't what you will be having to pay now. The bottom line is if you are looking for a mint SX-1010 and you are only willing to pay $200 for it, you are going to see alot of people outbidding you on Ebay for those few nice ones that come along. You just MIGHT get lucky though!

Last edited:
Thanks guys for the input. The seller was asking $250 for it so I was hoping to get him down to $125. If it was really mint I think I would have paid $250 for it. It's kind of a tough call. As it turns out, I was flipping through the classifieds in the paper this morning and found a guy about 30 miles closer selling a mint SX-950. Must be my luck day! Turns out it really is close to mint, I'd say a 9.5 out of 10 and I got it for $75. Not quite as much power as the 1010 but I'm guessing comparable build quality. Plus I really prefer the look of the 950 over the 1010.

Good call the SX-950 is a GREAT receiver and at $75.00 - well you cant go wrong there! Here's my opinion: vintage receivers that are cosmetically kind of rough are plentiful but the nice clean ones are growing increasingly rare so getting the SX-950 was a smart move.

Back
Top Bottom