Sx-1050 - can I run dual CV D-9s?

The 1050 won't drive them that well anyway. Those speaks respond well to big iron.

HUH? The 1050 at 120wpc with around 100db sensitivity for the CVs means incredible sound levels, period. Where do you get it wont drive them well?

Only because I have driven them with Sansui G7700 at 120 watts/ch, Carver TFM-25, and Phase Linear 700.

The Sansui was a very nice sounding receiver that I regret selling, but the difference in sound output obviously and quality was evident with the higher power units. So it was by trial for me. The difference was quite striking.

FYI, the 100 dB rating was quite overrated, CV admitted to it, was on their website, not sure if still there. They had to explain why the newer models had far lower efficiency ratings. If I had to estimate based on reference, am guessing 95-96 dB actual. Still quite lively.

So looks like a no go now... Hmm. Alright thanks

Why not wire them in series, crank them all you want, and enjoy a more stable, cooler running amp. They are super efficient so you'll get plenty of sound pressure.

A buddy of mine has 4 pair of D9s connected to a bunch of Crown XLS amps and his system provides an amazing experience. Crown XLS (I like DriveCore) amps tend to be affordable but why not enjoy the series connection for a while before opening up your wallet?

Here's a pic of my buddy's paint shop, from when we first connected them. He only had 4 crowns then (3 x 2000 and 1 x 1000). He has since picked up a stack of used xls1500, more d9s, and 4 x el-36c sub bins. It should dry paint pretty quick.

I remember when we connected four d9s to a single xls2000 and drove it with an MP3 player. It was the very first test. We used some 18ga speaker wire that got a little hot. The demo was pretty impressive. Lol

I haven't heard it with the sub bins or all the new power but it wasn't short on bass when he just had the d9s. The guy is a maniac. Lol

Several years ago, I walked him through replacing a surround. He is a pro with car interiors so I knew it would be no big deal to him. Apparently, the sound was to his liking. He is bringing home c-v and crown products like other people bring home beer. Lol

Attachments

• IMG_07621.jpg
    IMG_07621.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_07941.jpg
    IMG_07941.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:
Only because I have driven them with Sansui G7700 at 120 watts/ch, Carver TFM-25, and Phase Linear 700.

The Sansui was a very nice sounding receiver that I regret selling, but the difference in sound output obviously and quality was evident with the higher power units. So it was by trial for me. The difference was quite striking.

FYI, the 100 dB rating was quite overrated, CV admitted to it, was on their website, not sure if still there. They had to explain why the newer models had far lower efficiency ratings. If I had to estimate based on reference, am guessing 95-96 dB actual. Still quite lively.

Well that still has nothing to do with the rather silly statement that the 1010 cant drive those CVs very well.

For me sound quality is #1 and the goal so I'll stick with my silly recommendation /assessment. Not able to unhear it.

Sounds like TomB's buddy has responded to what he is hearing with the higher power via the Crown's.

Well that still has nothing to do with the rather silly statement that the 1010 cant drive those CVs very well.

It's a 1050, and although I've never had one, I have put a 4 ohm load on an SX-1250 and it was not that happy with it. Yes the big SX's can put out some wattage, but they really don't prefer 4 ohm loads.

Anyway, I interpreted the post as saying not that the 1050 couldn't run one pair of D9's, but that it would not be happy with two at the same time.

In any case it's not about how powerful the receiver is, it's how well it can deliver high current into a low impedance load. It's no insult to the Pioneers. I love mine. :thumbsup:

It's a 1050, and although I've never had one, I have put a 4 ohm load on an SX-1250 and it was not that happy with it. Yes the big SX's can put out some wattage, but they really don't prefer 4 ohm loads.

Anyway, I interpreted the post as saying not that the 1050 couldn't run one pair of D9's, but that it would not be happy with two at the same time.

In any case it's not about how powerful the receiver is, it's how well it can deliver high current into a low impedance load. It's no insult to the Pioneers. I love mine. :thumbsup:

Well I have heard a 1050 run the CVs and it sounded as nice as a CV speaker can sound. ........

No issue running one pair of CV D-9 speakers. Running two is where the issue occurs. 4 ohms is the lowest a SX 1050 or 1250 is happy with. It's an impedance issue. If the D-9 pairs were 8 ohms, there would not have been an issue.

Issue means it might fail.
I consider how much money and time it will take to fix. I have had a few amps repaired and it cost $150 and took weeks.

I would wonder why I want to do that and what the backup plan is.

I got 2 integrated amps and connected them together. Each runs a set of speakers. Consider getting an integrated amp and connecting it to your 1050. Works good. More stuff more fun. It is always good to have a backup anyway.

Pioneer receivers may be rated to run 4 ohm loads but my SX-1010 got to warm for my comfort running my D9s. The combo sounded great but its not worth the chance of that blue smoke appearing eventually. So I went to separates but my ears can only take so much!

How about using one of those speaker selector boxes that makes the receiver see an 8 ohm load.

I have an SX-1250 and I connected a single 4 ohm speaker that dips into 3 ohms at 70hz, the lights on the SX-1250 would dim on loud bass passages. The heat sinks got really hot. I would not recommend connecting 2 pairs of 4 ohm speakers into the 1050, for the 1050 sake, get a power amp with a gain control and connect it to your SX-1050 via the pre-outs and enjoy.

Back
Top Bottom