SX-1050 Dropping Right Channel

wiseshanks

I have a friend that also has a SX-1050 that he's had for a few years. He hasn't had the right channel since he first bought it. I told him that I would look at it for him to see if I could diagnose the problem. From what research I've done, I should deox and faderlube all of the controls first. Then try pulling out the jumpers on the back and plugging in RCA cables direct. If neither of these work, how should I go about troubleshooting this? Thank you in advance for your help!

Have you tried all inputs, AUX, Phone, etc? All speaker positions? Headphone jack? Check the tape outputs. Is there a signal there on both channels?
Bob

Have you tried all inputs, AUX, Phone, etc? All speaker positions? Headphone jack? Check the tape outputs. Is there a signal there on both channels?
Bob
As far as I know the channel is gone from every source. I'll ask him again to be sure. I'm not sure if he's tested the headphone jacks. If the channel is absent from all sources, could that be a dirty relay contact?

Use a set of RCA patch cords and swap channels at the jumpers before you go and grab another preamp.

So upon flipping the jumpers, if the opposite channel (left) drops out, that would lead to the pre-amp correct?

The filter switches are often an issue. Try cycling them both 50 times with the power off; then power up and see if that helped. They are, I believe, the last place in line before the signal goes to the amp.

For the sake of helping someone with this problem in the future, he cleaned the filter switches and both channels came in clear. Thank you all for your input! Highly appreciated!

My flagship 1050 has this exact issue. I have to clean and cycle those switches regularly or it starts dropping the right channel. I'm going to wear the switches out eventually.

My flagship 1050 has this exact issue. I have to clean and cycle those switches regularly or it starts dropping the right channel. I'm going to wear the switches out eventually.

I had this issue in the past so one day when the receiver was out I stood it up on end and let gravity do it's job. I used less de-oxit that way, made less of a mess. That worked the best.

Back
Top Bottom