SX-1050 How to reglue glass panel onto faceplate

Stevescivic

hello everyone,

What is the glue used to reattach the glass panel back onto my SX-1050 faceplate? The factory glue finally gave out.

Thanks.

I would think the adhesive for mounting a rear view mirror to the inside of a windshield would work just fine just as long as both pieces are cleaned well and with alcohol
to remove any residue that might be left from old adhesive and oils.

Honestly, why would you use that ??? I know I wouldn't.

That's probably the worse glue that you could use as it's just way to strong and aggressive, should you have to reverse the process at any point in time you're surely to break the glass removing it. I would use a hot glue that is gentle on both surfaces and easy enough to remove from either surface should the need arise.

Honestly, why would you use that ??? I know I wouldn't.

That's probably the worse glue that you could use as it's just way to strong and aggressive, should you have to reverse the process at any point in time you're surely to break the glass removing it. I would use a hot glue that is gentle on both surfaces and easy enough to remove from either surface should the need arise.

Ah Gees! Maybe cause I don't want it to come loose again. And why would you ever need to remove the the glass?
If it needs to be replaced because it got broken I'm sure it'll be no problem removing, besides the adhesive isn't that dadburn good, how many rear view mirrors of this type have you seen fallen off.
The reason I suggested that adhesive is that it is made for glass to metal adhesion.
Go ahead and use your hot glue, I'm sure that'll last a day or two.

okay... so... the big question is... do I want hot glue or do I use rearview mirror glass adhesive?

I get both sides of the pros and cons... I would hope the glass never breaks where I'd need to pull the glue off but then again I have kids at home so ANYTHING is possible.

Any other solutions that would be an "in between" solution?

I may be mistaken, but the rear view mirror glue is simply a form of cyanoacrylic (superglue)? Superglue would work, but be careful as the fumes will cloud surround glass.

Hot glue may work unless the area gets warm enough, then it might soften.

Perhaps silicon adhesive would work, and be removable?

DAP Weldwood contact cement will work. Its yellow glue. Looks exactly like what pioneer used.I have used it on a few Pioneers and it works well.

Try double backed carpet tape (any hardware store). Also the 3M tape used to attach auto emblems would work well (auto parts store). I've used Beacon 3-in-1 craft glue with success on a 1050 (craft store).

It's improper and makes a mess. I hate silicone.
Almost all of the glass in vintage gear was installed with double sided tape. Sometimes they went around afterwards with G17 or a similar cement.

It's improper and makes a mess. I hate silicone.
Almost all of the glass in vintage gear was installed with double sided tape. Sometimes they went around afterwards with G17 or a similar cement.
Agreed that they originally used double sided tape. But I had good experience with the silicone. It is clear, readily available, flexible. Clean up is not a problem, and it should last a very long time. If the glass is ever broken in the future, removal should be easy.
It was a PITA to remove the old double-stick tape when I replaced the broken glass panel. Had to use a hair dryer & scrape, scrape, scrape......to finally get it all off

Hokey was more the word I was looking for.
IMCO (in my crappy opinion) there really isn't a good reason not to use what was originally used. It's also readily available at any craft store, easier to use, inexpensive, and is the correct product for the application.
Not really saying this for the people who have already used silicone, but more for those who haven't used anything yet, but want to do the job correctly.

I used Allene's Tacky Glue. I wanted a strong hold that could be released if it ever got broken again. Just soak it in water and the parts fall away.

silicone usually contains acetic acid (that vinegar smell) and is HIGHLY CORROSIVE to aluminum even after its cured.some varieties dont like 3140 and would be ok, but the thin film double sided tape works and so does any rubber glue and can be removed

Back
Top Bottom