SX-1050 Tone Controls

Duke

Hello Again,

I read on one of the posts about cleaning the SX 1050 Tone Controls- per someones quote:

"The tone controls sit as a module, with the unit upside down, do support the transformer, the tone controls, or pots, as we call them, can be tilted out, watch the wires that are wrapped on the posts. There is a metal cover on these that comes off exposing the 4 large pot housings, spray the cleaner into a hole you find on the case".

For the life of me I can not seem to locate where this gentleman suggests- here's a picture of the area (1050 is upside down with the controls in the front) he is describing, perhaps someone can provide more guidance on this?

Almost complete, after this, she's ready to be put back together and listened to.

Again, in advance "THX"!

:scratch2: :scratch2:

I think that was my description, you gotta remove the screws from the front panel, around the tone controls, then the module will come out. You are looking at the bottom of the module right now. There is a metal cover on top of the module. Remove it, then the pots are right there to be cleaned. While you are under there, check the large power caps for leaks. Get the service manual, it really has good info.

Last edited:
Hey VintageNut . . .

Thanks for your continued support and detailed info . . .

Prior to receiving your info, I did indeed remove the 3 screws from the front control panel, and noticed that the tone control module you speak of, was able to move the complete metal tone control assembly - however, with caution, I moved several of wires from a plastic wrap holder, in an attempt to remove the tone control module, but I was unable to move/remove the tone control module enough to be able to get in their with some DeOxit . .. I guess it's one of those things, that once you do it, the 2nd time is easier.

So, instead I removed all of the screws from the front panel which hold these pots/controls in place, and was able to spray deoxit into their respective holes, so perhaps I came close to accomplishing the same thing.

The unit is now playing with a pair of 3 way 4 speaker JBL's , and sounds "really, really nice" . . . I am waiting on a few lights, knobs, and she'll be done. Just refinished the metal air panel and the wood cabinet, so after all the clean-up, it also looks great.

Again thanks to you and the others at AK for your continued support and replies.

Back
Top Bottom