SX-1250, it led the way!

VintageNut

Here's a pic of the guts of the new Denon AVR-5805, the flagship at 6000.00
For the SX-1250 owners out there, it might look a tad familiar in the amp side, don't it?

haha, its rated 170 by 10 ! but draws a max of 1560 watts (13 amps) from the wall. So somehow it magicly CREATES 140 watts. Damn I wish I could come up with a 108.9% efficient amplifier. Obvioulsy it is not as powerfull as it says it is, and probalby doesn't sound better than my SX-1250 for music. Now I can't find the AC draw of the 1250 for some reason, but I have seen it before and I think its around 1200 watts at full output. Mine says 650 watts on the back, but that is idle power I belive. Anybody know ?

Home-theater receivers are always WeaselRated(R) one channel at a time. Hit rated output on all channels? Nope, and frankly, they don't need to. It is wildly disingenuous of the manufacturers, though. It's how we get "500-watt" receivers that draw 300 watts from the wall and cost $199, that our midlevel vintage 40-50wpc units stomp all over with no effort whatsoever. Denon makes a fine HT receiver, their upper-midlevel machines are a splendid choice for movie buffs, but spending $6000 on a receiver is silly beyond belief...you can get a good pre-processor and separate power amplifiers for that kind of jack! WAY too much circuitry in that thing...way too many functions in one box. That thing's gotta be a nightmare to service!

TP

jackson said:
haha, its rated 170 by 10 ! but draws a max of 1560 watts (13 amps) from the wall. So somehow it magicly CREATES 140 watts. Damn I wish I could come up with a 108.9% efficient amplifier. Obvioulsy it is not as powerfull as it says it is, and probalby doesn't sound better than my SX-1250 for music. Now I can't find the AC draw of the 1250 for some reason, but I have seen it before and I think its around 1200 watts at full output. Mine says 650 watts on the back, but that is idle power I belive. Anybody know ?

2x160=320. . . Amp draw of 650 is correct IIRC on the 1250. . . Idle is somewhere like 60-90 or so. . . .

B3Nut said:
Home-theater receivers are always WeaselRated(R) one channel at a time. Hit rated output on all channels? Nope, and frankly, they don't need to. It is wildly disingenuous of the manufacturers, though. It's how we get "500-watt" receivers that draw 300 watts from the wall and cost $199, that our midlevel vintage 40-50wpc units stomp all over with no effort whatsoever. Denon makes a fine HT receiver, their upper-midlevel machines are a splendid choice for movie buffs, but spending $6000 on a receiver is silly beyond belief...you can get a good pre-processor and separate power amplifiers for that kind of jack! WAY too much circuitry in that thing...way too many functions in one box. That thing's gotta be a nightmare to service!

TP

Good point Todd ("our midlevel vintage 40-50wpc units stomp all over with no effort ") and for some real-life measurements, slip on over to the [Exclusively Sansui] forum and see what my 7070 measured this morning driven (both channels) into overload.

Paul

I have a Pioneer VSX-D606S H/T receiver. It's from the mid to late 90s I believe. It's rated at 130wpc (stereo). I can tell you without a doubt that my Kenwood KR-7400 has more power. I've actually had the Pioneer at "full throttle" through the Infinity Column IIs. I wouldn't want to be in the same room with the Kenwood doing that.

Ed

There are plenty of folks out there to buy these Flagship receivers. Big market. These guys just want a receiver. . . .

I use a Pioneer Elite VSX56TXi(1800.00) rated 110x7 (650watt consumption) but real world that would be 110x2. . . My old 1014 Pioneer(400.00) also rated at 110x7 but consumption was 480 watts. . . . My Elite is 20 pounds heavier, better construction and better heat sinks and shielding .among many other things like better componets etc. . .

Back
Top Bottom