SX-1250 phono question

averagewhiteman

I have no agenda
Is there a difference between phono 1 and 2?

I have an old Technics SLBD2 that works fine through both.
Phono 1 button is "staticy" and I have to press it many times to get it to play in both channels. Phono 2 is all good, but I shyed away from it because it says Phono 2/mic. It sounds the same to me.

I know I'm due for a cleaning, but man I don't want to take the whole rack apart one more freaking time. Just moved in and got everything where I wants it.

Same?

They should be identical in theory, since the switches share the same phono section. However, given that the "MIC" input is combined with Phono 2, I would prefer using Phono 1 if possible. Less wires in the signal path.

BTW, the SX-1280 added a capacitance switch for phono 1, making it different from phono 2.

Last edited:
I was thinking, instead of dissassembling the unit to clean the contacts, why not try to spray a shot of Progold or Dexoit directly at the button in question? You can place the unit face up for maximum penetration. It's not 100% effective but has worked fine for me on many occasions!

Thanks

Hey Crooner, I got a SX-1050 on top of her, then a processor on top of that, then a TT on top of that. All tucked into a armoire style cabinet. What a bitch (can I use this word) to get at. Things are going to have to get real bad before I take all of that stuff apart again. My back still aches from the move.

I shyed away from the phono2/mic due to the reason you stated. I do think I hear more of a rumble, but it could just be my ears.

Got the SX-1980 up to full specs yet? Or is a trip to EW in her future?

Mick

Hey Mick I gotcha! With these heavy beasts, I also think hard before moving them. And since you got the other (not so lightweight) Pioneer on top of her... :D

I haven't started on the SX-1980 restoration yet. I've ordered new lamps from our fellow AK'er dwojo. A service manual is on the way. I bough a bunch of high voltage zeners. I plan to do a wholesale zener replacement on her.

After that, I will adjust DC offset and center voltage according to specs.

Hopefully, she will work just fine after that (fingers crossed).

Best regards,
crooner

Back
Top Bottom