Sx-1250 - Speaker A Dead

emmett

Hello all - I have an SX-1250 that is in great shape and all works fine except the "A" button for the speaker pair A. If I connect speakers, and depress the A button, nothing happens - the light does not go on and the terminals are dead. If I connect to "B", all works fine. I do not have a schematic. Any idea what this might be???? I appreciate it.

It's shot... send it to me and I'll give it a good burial! :D

Right off the top of my head I'm wondering if the switch
needs cleaned?

Is there an A+B setting like the Kenwoods that have a knob
or is it buttons?

If it's the knob style there is A, B, A+B - you could try the
A+B setting and see if A works that way.

If it's the button style and cleaning the switch doesn't work,
then it's time to dig a little deeper... don't think it's a fuse
since the speaker A light doesn't come on, it's acting like it's
not getting switched.

Hope this helps!

Scott

A+B on the 1250 puts the speakers in parallel, I believe.

Anyway, the switch is likely dirty. Not easy to clean, but not an enourmous job either.

I was wondering when you'd chime in EW! :D

I still have yet to pull that 9600 form the dark corner yet!

I'm hoping this weekend!

Scott

My SX-1050 and the SX-1250 have 3 Buttoms for 3 pair of Speakers A, B, C , the same as my SX-1980. But you can only run 2 pair of Speakers at the same time. If you push all 3 Buttoms, all 3 Lights turn off.

Why A is not runing????

I'm no guru, but it sure sounds like a bad, or dirty, switch. As far as I know, there is no extra circuitry involved. In other words, all speaker pairs run off of the same power.

Last edited:
emmett said:
Hello all - I have an SX-1250 that is in great shape and all works fine except the "A" button for the speaker pair A. If I connect speakers, and depress the A button, nothing happens - the light does not go on and the terminals are dead. If I connect to "B", all works fine. I do not have a schematic. Any idea what this might be???? I appreciate it.

First clean all the selector switches and check for bad solder joints.

Lets us know how you make out.

OK - I cleaned the controls and switched as good as I could - some hard to get to - seems as thought no loose solder joints...still nothing on "A" speaker terminal??? I'll keep trying - any recommendations on contact/control cleaner types? Thanks

I cleaned the controls and switched as good as I could -
No offense, but you appear to be out of your league. Consider taking (or shipping) the unit to a Pro. Choose carefully...the 1250 is a classic and I can see some clueless tech raping and pillaging a fine example of 70's audio history.

...or use the 'B' terminals and fuggetaboutit.

Back
Top Bottom