SX-1280...and the woman of the year award goes to...

hertzdonut

Press Play and Stand Back
..my wife!

Talk about stunning me speechless. On Christmas, one of the packages I open has a picture of a Pioneer SX-1280, with a note: "This beast is upstairs in my closet." I look at her, suddenly wondering a hundred different things..is she kidding?..how did she know...how did she find one...no wait, is she kidding?? I've got an 850, but have always wanted one of the "big ones."

Turns out a recent purchase I had made off of craigslist (a reel-to-reel), the gentleman also had an SX-1280 in pretty nice shape. Though it was about half the price of what it would go for on eBay, I decided against buying it. It was an expensive purchase, and I just bought the reel-to-reel. This was back before Halloween.

About a week after that, I was talking to my family about the gentleman and his gear and the SX-1280 for sale. My wife asked if I thought it was worth it. "Absolutely," I said, "But I'm not going to spend the money on it".

It was then (!!) she decided she was going to get it for me for Christmas. With the help of my son, she tracked down the gentleman, arranged the purchase and made it happen. It has been residing in my house all this time and I never had a clue.

Oh, but she wasn't quite done yet. She, on her own, tracked down where to find a service manual, downloaded and printed it!

I could only do this:
:eek2:

I have always thought my wife was amazing, now I think she's destined for sainthood. ;)

And yes, I grabbed some quick pix! (note: I haven't even so much as cleaned it or anything yet)

- Jeff, who is one really, really, lucky guy

Suddenly it's 1979 again!

May your "new" receiver bring you many years of happy listening.

I can see your grin from here!
I am enjoying your vibes.
Happy new year.

You lucky bast! Both on the wife and receiver. Better give her a little extra something, something :naughty:!

Awesome, enjoy!

Suddenly it's 1979 again!

May your "new" receiver bring you many years of happy listening.

I can see your grin from here!
I am enjoying your vibes.
Happy new year.

Wow .... Enjoy it ,and your very lucky to have a lady like that. Awesome that she did that for you.

What a woman:thumbsup:

Thanks for the kind words, guys! I will be sure to pass them on to her, she'll appreciate them! And Happy New Year to you, too, Zeb!

Now that's a gift.
Didn't you notice the crane to get it upstairs?

Lol, Jim, I should have! I knew it was substantial, and when I brought it downstairs, trying to delicately maneuver that 65lb behemoth through doorways and such, well, I had a new appreciation for the phrase "grace under pressure"!

You left out the most important detail: DOES SHE HAVE A SISTER? :D

J/K, Good on you both

DR, that made me laugh! And thanks!

Wow, you have a couple of keepers there, both the wife and the receiver.

You lucky bast! Both on the wife and receiver. Better give her a little extra something, something :naughty:!

Your wife is a :angel:

Enjoy the heck out of that one

Wow, just wow.....you are a lucky man.

Thank you for the kind wishes, gentlemen! I do realize how lucky I am. And 91r100gs, you are right, she is an angel. :)

As to the receiver itself, I plan to dig into it a bit, the usual Deox, cleaning up, etc. And then think about doing a recap to ensure longevity. I have no doubt that I will be starting a new thread at some point with questions. I did find a thread started by a "moewillis" who documented his 1280 recap, and that looks to be a big help. I'm no expert, but I've done full recaps on a couple of 850's, an SG-9500 equalizer, plus reel to reel work and my PL-630 turntable. As the saying goes...just enough to be dangerous!

- Jeff

Now THAT'S a WAF story I liked reading... not enough of these... but I'll take 'em when someone gets 'em.

Bitchin' receiver, too!! What a beaut!

Wow, it looks great already! Congrats on the gift, and even better, your better half! Great story!

Now THAT'S a WAF story I liked reading... not enough of these... but I'll take 'em when someone gets 'em.

Bitchin' receiver, too!! What a beaut!

Thanks, kind of you guys to say! And I'm not embarrassed to say she really touched my heart with her thoughtfulness. Taking the time and effort to find and get the receiver (not to mention taking note of the fact that I really liked it to begin with!) and then knowing I would want a service manual...finding one online...downloading it...and then doing a beautiful job printing it...well, like dander said: "Wow, just wow"

I did find a thread started by a "moewillis" who documented his 1280 recap, and that looks to be a big help. I'm no expert, but I've done full recaps on a couple of 850's, an SG-9500 equalizer, plus reel to reel work and my PL-630 turntable. As the saying goes...just enough to be dangerous!

- Jeff

Hey that's me! I've been through a couple 1280's. Full recaps are quite the process! Let me know if you have any questions. Congrats on the unit! You have a very thoughtful wife! I know what you mean about moving them around! Carry it with the face pointed upwards with your hands on the back of the heatsinks. Either your wife is quite strong or she had some help. My wife couldn't move mine if she wanted to!

Hey that's me! I've been through a couple 1280's. Full recaps are quite the process! Let me know if you have any questions. Congrats on the unit! You have a very thoughtful wife! I know what you mean about moving them around! Carry it with the face pointed upwards with your hands on the back of the heatsinks. Either your wife is quite strong or she had some help. My wife couldn't move mine if she wanted to!

Hi moe, I'm really glad to see you're here! I appreciate your offer of answering questions as I undoubtably will have some. And thanks for the kind words about my wife.

In the thread you posted (http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/moes-sx-1280-mild-restoration.707613/) I really like how you got things accomplished and documented. Not to mention your clean solution for connecting up the big caps. (ring terminals vs the "soldering mess") ;)

Yeah, the weight of that unit is beyond what my wife can safely carry...thankfully, my son was able to be around and help.

Thanks again!

- Jeff

Hi moe, I'm really glad to see you're here! I appreciate your offer of answering questions as I undoubtably will have some. And thanks for the kind words about my wife.

In the thread you posted (http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/moes-sx-1280-mild-restoration.707613/) I really like how you got things accomplished and documented. Not to mention your clean solution for connecting up the big caps. (ring terminals vs the "soldering mess") ;)

Yeah, the weight of that unit is beyond what my wife can safely carry...thankfully, my son was able to be around and help.

Thanks again!

- Jeff

ya i caused myself some unnecessary heartache in that one! i got it all sorted out. the second 1280 i did in that thread was a real task! probably the most difficult unit i have ever resurrected. thanks for the compliments. let me know what you need help with and i'll do my best to help

Back
Top Bottom