SX-1280...and the woman of the year award goes to...

You got a good receiver, but your wife is wayyy better, your karma must be in top.
It looks mint.

Lol, kyon, she is way better. :) The 1280 is reasonably close to mint, IMO. The volume knob has a scrape, and there's a couple of other light defects. I'm curious as to what shape the inside is.

ya i caused myself some unnecessary heartache in that one! i got it all sorted out. the second 1280 i did in that thread was a real task! probably the most difficult unit i have ever resurrected. thanks for the compliments. let me know what you need help with and i'll do my best to help

You do nice work, and your electrical knowledge far exceeds mine. I'm sure I'll be asking about certain voltages and parts lists or whatever, so thanks again (in advance!)

- Jeff

Lol, kyon, she is way better. :) The 1280 is reasonably close to mint, IMO. The volume knob has a scrape, and there's a couple of other light defects. I'm curious as to what shape the inside is.

You do nice work, and your electrical knowledge far exceeds mine. I'm sure I'll be asking about certain voltages and parts lists or whatever, so thanks again (in advance!)

- Jeff
Regardless what condition the inside is, if it works well, then dont fix it. Maybe deoxit it a little will help. And enjoy your new toy through the new year.

Regardless what condition the inside is, if it works well, then dont fix it. Maybe deoxit it a little will help. And enjoy your new toy through the new year.

i'm not going to turn this into a debate here but all i will say is that i disagree with this statement. these units have unavailable outputs and everything that can be done to protect them is a good idea. these caps are almost 40 yrs old now. they are living on borrowed time.

Congrats . I can't believe it has been in your house all this time and you did not know it . The sagging 2nd floor should have been a dead giveaway ! what a wonderful wife to be so in tune with your desires . Just awesome . My wife was kind enuff to let me order brand new Klipsch RF-7 II's in Cherry for Christmas .

rf7cherrypair_1.jpg

That's really cool....

Finding someone that shares in the passions of life is almost unheard of these days !

i'm not going to turn this into a debate here but all i will say is that i disagree with this statement. these units have unavailable outputs and everything that can be done to protect them is a good idea. these caps are almost 40 yrs old now. they are living on borrowed time.
From everything I've read this statement is true, protect those outputs at all costs.

Moe, do you agree with this... replace the trimmers and caps on the pwr amp boards, along with the main pwr caps for now until he can get to a complete re-cap, so at least then it can be used with reasonable safety for the outputs?

I have a great wife too, she let me buy some KEF's!

Bob

I have to say I'm in agreement with you, moe. A little prevention can go a long way.

From everything I've read this statement is true, protect those outputs at all costs.

Moe, do you agree with this... replace the trimmers and caps on the pwr amp boards, along with the main pwr caps for now until he can get to a complete re-cap, so at least then it can be used with reasonable safety for the outputs?

Bob

if i could only recap one board on a 1280 (or pretty much any unit of this vintage) it would 100% be the power supply board. the design of the 1280 puts it and the protection board in a chimney. those boards run hot and the caps just get cooked. i would recap the protection board at the same time as there are only a few caps and trannies on it.

changing trimmers is another great idea. bias and offset need to be checked and set. the old pots can run a very quick open circuit if dirty enough and you never ever ever want anything open in the bias circuit. new pots make it much easier to set because the old ones are quick to jump. a 25 turn bourns trimmer takes a while to move and makes fine adjustment much easier. what i do if using the old pots is with the unit powered off i will stick my driver in the old trimmer, take note of the position then work the trimmer back and forth several times returning it to the same position. it helps to work in a dirty pot just in case.

you need to check every voltage you can and make sure everything is set properly. unless something is acting up you can get by with that for the time being. definitely check the 4 main caps for any sign of venting. i would replace all of them if any show signs.

sorry to be long winded. i dont want to derail this mans thread here...

Congrats . I can't believe it has been in your house all this time and you did not know it . The sagging 2nd floor should have been a dead giveaway ! what a wonderful wife to be so in tune with your desires . Just awesome . My wife was kind enuff to let me order brand new Klipsch RF-7 II's in Cherry for Christmas .

Zebra, I just attribute the sagging floor to my old house. ;) Thanks, and I think your new Klipsch's are awesome. I'm sure you'll enjoy those for many years to come. :thumbsup:

- Jeff

Bob

if i could only recap one board on a 1280 (or pretty much any unit of this vintage) it would 100% be the power supply board. the design of the 1280 puts it and the protection board in a chimney. those boards run hot and the caps just get cooked. i would recap the protection board at the same time as there are only a few caps and trannies on it.

changing trimmers is another great idea. bias and offset need to be checked and set. the old pots can run a very quick open circuit if dirty enough and you never ever ever want anything open in the bias circuit. new pots make it much easier to set because the old ones are quick to jump. a 25 turn bourns trimmer takes a while to move and makes fine adjustment much easier. what i do if using the old pots is with the unit powered off i will stick my driver in the old trimmer, take note of the position then work the trimmer back and forth several times returning it to the same position. it helps to work in a dirty pot just in case.

you need to check every voltage you can and make sure everything is set properly. unless something is acting up you can get by with that for the time being. definitely check the 4 main caps for any sign of venting. i would replace all of them if any show signs.

sorry to be long winded. i dont want to derail this mans thread here...

Lol, no problem, gents, and I appreciate the advice on possible starting points. (And Bob, congrats on the new KEF's!) I take heed when you guys with experience and knowledge speak up. It is a key reason why my previous recaps turned out successful.

- Jeff

Hope you got her something better then a robe for Christmas! Something that sparkles in the light when worn is always a good choice.

Enjoy!

Barney

Back
Top Bottom