SX-1980.....Here we go again

Oh that's Mr. Pennorious striking again. His stuff usually commands top dollar. I still remember those George Lucas' McIntosh MC3500s that went for around 15K.

I expect this beast to go quite high. Still, he sells everything "as-is with no further guarantee".

BTW, I stole his image for my avatar!!! :banana:

Last edited:
Nice one

She is a nice one OK. . . Couple little warts on the case and a few flea bites along the top edge of the face but it is just about impossible to even move one of these heavy bastards without scratching it or something.

The Pictures are very good taken ... :scratch2:

IM002597.jpg

Yours is one beautiful SX-1980, Siamac.

I got one BTW. It's in great condition. It will look as nice as yours, once I have it completely detailed :D

Mine is the international multivoltage version meaning it doesn't require a step down transformer when used in Europe.

Unlike pennurious' unit, this is the later version with the "sensor" adjustment for the quartz lock on the back.

Last edited:
Nice, Crooner.

I finally got down to Knoxville today and picked up my SA-9800 and TX-9800 from Terry. They are both international units, with volatage selection on the back. The tuner has the quartz lock touch gain switch on the back, and a three-position FM de-emphasis switch (the US models just had two positions, IIRC) -- Foe

That's awesome Foe. I bet they look and sound sweet. Terry is the best.
I'd send the unit to him, but as you can see it is very expensive to have these beasts shipped.

I like to work on my stuff, so no biggie. I'll learn new things as well.

Mine will probably need a few zeners in the PS replaced and DC offset and center voltages adjusted.

The Quartz Locked Touch Gain control was added to later units, I believe, because of some problems in the early units. Mine works like a champ, in the "norm" position.

Best,
crooner

siamac said:
So we should change. I get yours and you get mine, because of the Voltage :yes:

Hehe yeah! But seriously, you should have yours checked because I doubt Pioneer used different toroidals for each version. If it's the same trannie, then it's a question of changing the primary tap to the 220V wire. The schematic should show this clearly.

BTW, what kind of step-down transformer do you use that can handle the SX-1980's massive power?

Best,
crooner

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom