SX-434 Alps switch repair and preventative maintenance.

EngineerNate

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Got an SX-434 in a batch of receivers I picked up from an eBay reseller who decided to hang it up. It had the classic power switch symptoms: fizzle noises mixed with flashing lights.

I jumped the switch and it fired right up. So out came the switch. It measured at 10k ohms in the closed position. :yikes:

The rivets are aluminum so I snipped them with some flush cutters and opened the switch up:

cXMF932.jpg

Nice and toasty. :no:

Notice the char on the insulation paper sitting on the wrench.

Deoxit plus some sandpaper:
EQ4mn4S.jpg

I checked and resistance was 0.07 ohms... Much better! :trebon:

I ordered some 9/16" long 0-80 hex bolts, washers, and nuts from McMaster. I first tried to reassemble with the nut on the metal plate side, but there was a clearance issue in the A+B position:
PY2diF9.jpg

5MK6PzS.jpg

So I reversed the bolts. This took three washers to get the nut to clear the cutout in the plastic. Luckily, the washers were an exact fit for the cutout:
cnSpgZW.jpg

And assembled. It just clears:
ZKdabkN.jpg

I reassembled and tested it a couple of times to check fiction and it worked perfectly, but I knew that would be a temporary thing without further intervention, and add these things are basically unobtanium that wasn't acceptable.

In steps @K7sparky with his awesome triac mod.
http://audiokarma.org/forums/index....orth-5-and-an-hour-or-so-of-your-time.504673/

I used the isolated TO-220 version of the litteldiode part, and made loops out of the legs:
J0ztzQM.jpg

Install finished. All leads heat shrunk.
5JF2n28.jpg

Notice that I snipped out the snubber cap on the switch. It isn't needed and can mess with the function of the triac. I snipped it out instead of desoldering as I wanted to keep any and all help away from the plastic body of the switch if at all possible. :)

This receiver is now singing again thanks to the awesome people of this site. :banana:

Cheers,
Nathan

Well done.
Incorporating the triac mod was a good idea.
Iv'e used them in other manufactures models but never installed it on a Pioneer with those switches.

Well done.
Incorporating the triac mod was a good idea.
Iv'e used them in other manufactures models but never installed it on a Pioneer with those switches.

It's $3 that means it's unlikely that switch will ever be a problem again. Well worth it even for these more modest performers in my book. :)

Back
Top Bottom