SX-450 problem

Bamboe

Hi all,

A friend of mine is having a problem with his SX-450. The volume can't be turned down completely, even when the volume pot is at it's minimum, it still sounds (too) loud. He took it to a repair shop and they told the volume pot is broken and needs to be replaced, but a replacement pot would be hard to find and expensive. Now my questions: is it likely that the shop's tech is correct about the broken pot or could there be something else wrong? And if it's the pot indeed, is a replacement part really hard to find? If so, could there be an other way to fix the problem?

I already suggested him to look on ebay for another vintage pioneer receiver instead of putting money into repairs for a SX-450, but he's afraid that vintage gear sold on ebay will have other problems (which could be expensive to fix).

Tia,

Stijn

It makes sense, that the pot may be broken. If you can not turn down to silence, the ground connection of the pot may be broken, or the solder joint. You can short the middle pin of the pot to ground, if it´s quiet then you got it.

OK thanks to both of you. I talked to the guy again and he told me the shop was sure that the pot is broken, they tested it and they say the pot's carbon has become too thin or something.

Post a wanted ad in the Partswap section - someone here might have a pot they can take from a parts donor unit.

TP

Back
Top Bottom