Sx-550 Help

emmett

Hello all - I picked up an SX-550 from a friend recently. When you turn it on, the lights flicker and there is a buzzing noise for a while, then the unit turns on and plays fairly well. The buzzing and flickering may last 20 seconds or 1.5 minutes before it comes on. Any idea what might cause this? I do not have a schematic yet for the unit. Thanks

The power switch is arcing and is likely not available due to the item's age. There are several ways to remedy this, the easiest would be to bridge the arcing power switch and installing an inline switch available from any hardware store in the ac power cord. There are more elaborate ways but this is quick and will work.

Thanks

To Ken Bernaky - I opened up the receiver and indeed found the noise coming form the switch. I took it apart, cleaned the contacts, put it back together and am listening to it as I write this. There is not much to that little switch, the contacts were very from arcing. Thanks for your help. Mark :thmbsp:

Mark:

Glad it is functioning but it won't last. The contacts get so badly pitted that cleaning and burnishing removes the original coating and distorts the mating surfaces which shortens the life of the rebuilt switch. It will buy you some time to come up with a more permanent solution.

I had a 450 and I had to bypass the power switch by putting a toggle switch on the rear panel (yes, I drilled a hole in it) and snaking the wires to it, clipping the leads to the one that's in there now. I put in a 7A AC rated plastic thingy from RatShack, and it still was working up until I retired the receiver to basement duties last week. At least a toggle switch is replaceable fairly easily; I wanted to keep it going and had no resale plans.

Tom

Back
Top Bottom