SX-680 - I'm impressed, but....

packrat

I picked up an SX-680 yesterday at the thrift - I saw silver knobs and face, put it in the cart and THEN looked to see what I had! It was heavier than I expected for the size, and the face and knobs are in great shape. I didn't even test it there - I took it home and it all works fine, even all the lights are good. About 25mV DC offset on each channel, which is OK.
The real surprise was when I was cleaning it up and got to the back and saw 'Made in Korea'! What???? I never thought Pioneer made these in Korea, but a quick look on eBay and I see they sell for about $30, so not exactly 'collectable'. But yet, it seems well built, but with no 'made in Japan' units to compare to I just can't say if it is 'junk' or not in comparison to the bigger boys like the sx880 or sx980.

I wonder if these were assembled in Korea with parts which were made in Japan? Are the switches and knobs the same as what is used in the upper end of this series? Either way, I'm impressed with it and am keeping it (until something better comes along, as always!)

This now makes 3 Pioneers for me: an SX-424, an SX-680, and a TX-1000 FM tuner (which is still heavier than either of these receivers!).

Last edited:
From what I understand Pioneer was trying to save production cost by having Korea mke this particular unit there. I do think the parts were made in Japan.

By the 1978-79 timeframe, and earlier, Pioneer shipped the 400, 500, and 600 series receivers to Korea for assembly to cut costs. I find this kind of ironic given that several years earlier, the Japanese manufacturers (who all went offshore at the same time) used lower labor costs in Japan to hammer the US manufacturers such as Fisher, Scott, Harmon Kardon, etc. into financial submission.

In any event, the 800, 900, 1000, 1200, and 1900 series receivers all were built in Japan. I just picked up an SX 535 for $30 at my local Salvation Army. Like yours, Pioneer built it in Korea. It works fine, cleaned up very well, and is worth the few dollars I spent on it. I believe that most of the parts, if not all machined and precision components, came from Japan, but cannot be certain. I've also got an SX 980 and SX 990, both made in Japan.

Thanks for the history lessons. The 680 is nice - I hooked it up to some speakers and was able to listen for a short time today. The tuner works well enough and it doesn't drift with heating up. The controls feel much better than a Kenwood KR-3600 I also have. Similar power rating, but the 680 is much nicer to look at and to use. So, so far I have no problem with where it's made!
:)

680 & others

Usually, most later solid state tuners will not drift and will require, at most, one adjustment during a listening session. My SX 990, because of its earlier circuitry (circa 1971), requires almost as much fine tuning as a tube tuner. But it sounds fine and works as it should.

Hope your 680 continues to work fine. I've had my 980 since new in 1978-79, and had to clean a couple of the push button switches, some of the lever switches, and change the aux and FM bulbs. That's it for a quarter of a century. It looks new.

ahhh the nostagia is killing me. that's basically the receiver I grew up listening too. that thing made any old speaker I hooked up to it sing. Not much has matched it since, and all my receivers in my lifetime have been no slouch. my 1080 is the sh*t but, If you want to split hairs, I still wish I salvaged my 680.

Pioneer's Korean plant did good work, I really didn't see much difference between my MIJ SX-780 and a MIK 780 I refurbed. All the parts inside were identical, only difference was where the screwdrivers were being wielded and who was wielding the screwdrivers, so to speak. My SX-450 is MIK and is solidly built. I found an SX-680 at Goodwill a couple years back, I had to replace one of the STK-0039 output modules but it worked great once fixed. It sees regular use in the vet clinic my wife works at, playing CD's and FM during surgeries. It's been solid...

Todd in Beerbratistan

Back
Top Bottom