SX-727 cleaning project

Crotalus

Hello all. I thought I'd post some pics while I was cleaning up a SX-727 that I'll be trading to AK member jpciii. First are some pics of the faceplate after I removed it. You can see all the nastiness that built up over the years.
You can see some pics of the SX-727 the day I got it, dirt and all here:

http://audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=28507

Last edited:
Next up is the faceplate after a good cleaning. First was a nice Windex bath, followed up by a good rubdown with Meguiar's Cleaner Wax and then a good buffing. You can see how well it cleans up using this three step process. Pics of the final cleanup to follow.....

Here are the rest of the pics. I took a painbrush and a can of air to the insides, some wax to the power supply (it really shines!), WD-40 and a toothbrush to the rear panel, followed by some Caig Pro-Gold on all the RCA jacks and terminals. All the pots were cleaned with DeOxit followed by some ProGold. The knobs, the black cage and a few other pieces were just washed in the sink with Dawn and a toothbrush. All the case needed was a little Endust. Orignially one of the wood end pieces had a ding in the corner, so I just removed them and flipped them over and switched sides....good as new! I think I like the look of this series better than the SX-x3x series. I hope jpciii likes it because it sounds incredible.

I'd say total time was about 4-5 hours spread out over a few days. To get to the pots, just take the faceplate off, then remove the large black bottom plate. That will allow you get to all of them from the bottom except for the volume pot. It's pretty well guarded by a few caps. To get to it, just unbolt the pots on the front and remove a few screws and the board the pots are on will come loose for easier access. Thanks for all the nice comments guys.

Nice job Crotalus... :thmbsp:

She looks brand new out of the box, simply gorgeous !!! :yes:

Hey Thumpy that's what my SX-650 that Kamakiri sent me looked like before I cleaned it up. You have a job ahead of you that's for sure.

Maybe I should do what that one guy does on ebay. But instead of "Restoration" it would be: "Vintage Pioneer Cleaning Service" BIN $999.00 :lmao: :lmao: I don't think so.....

What a beautiful restoration job, Crotalus. The receiver looks as good as new, and I bet it also sounds as good as new. I have a Sherwood S-7200 that could use a cleaning. Too bad you are in Illinoiis. Congratulations on a job well done.

Holy crap, man! That baby is going front and center in our living room; I know my wife will love it. She isn't too happy to see the speakers leave, but when she gets to fall asleep on the couch listening to those pretty blue lights... :thmbsp: Of course, I will love it too... Hell, I already love it :banana:

Fantastic job Crotalus! :thmbsp: jpciii, you're a lucky dude to be getting that baby! :yes:

are those spkr connectors readly available in the event a body got a 727 without them. I think a 727 would be a nice complement to my Sansui 2000X, the sui equiv. to the pio 727. Gotta have one.
Nice resto job.

Back
Top Bottom