sx-750 recap goes from bad to worse

Repay by sharing your experiences and what you've learned the next time someone needs some tips. It's what we do here.

Hoping I can hijack this thread with my current sx-750 protection board mystery.
I purchased this unit non-working and it appears someone else has been in here previously.
I have recapped power amp and protection boards testing and replacing transistors as needed - with new outputs standing by until I sort out this issue.
Once work was completed, on dim bulb tester, protection relay was not "clicking" - I tracked down issue to +31.1vdc on in 36 of the power amp board. Traced this back to also +31.1vdc on pin 9 of the same board (good thing I had not installed/plugged in new outputs...)

All components on power amp board seem to check out - I'm now looking at the Power/protection board where I have recapped, and replaced transistors that checked bad. I found this thread and followed it - I seem to have no problems with fuses or filter caps/rectifier - but I could be wrong here)

AWR-099 voltages:
1: 31 vdc
2: 0 - .2 mdc (fluctuates)
3: .3 - .6mdc (fluctuates)
4: 29.1 mdc
5: 6.6 vac
6: 6.6 vac
7: 6.6 vac
8: 31. vdc
9: 0
10: 31.4mdc
11: 0
12: 0
13: 0
14: 0
15: 4.8 AC
16: -41.9 vdc
17: -36.5 vdc
18: 41.2 vdc
19: 0
20: 0
21:0
22: 12.8 vdc
23: 32.4 vdc
24: 32.4 vdc

I certainly see the high voltages on pins 1,8 and 10...I have pulled the yellow wire going to pin 1 knowing that this would cause the relay to go into protection.

One clue is when I pull q6 (now a new c2383) the relay releases but the voltages on pins 8 and 10 remain the same.

Any guidance would be most appreciated.

I'll commend you on performing your due diligence and researching the problem before posting.

Since your problem is specific, however, it would probably be best if you opened a new thread for your unit. It will likely get more attention and be a "cleaner" thread more directly focused on the issue at hand.

Incidentally, 31V on Pin 1 is a big red flag. Q5 and Q7 on the power amp need to be checked for shorts.

Back
Top Bottom