SX-780 back from the dead!

DavidStank

In high school I bought a new at the time Pioneer SX-780 receiver with turntable, speakers and cassette tape deck. Halfway through college the receiver began to act up, worked intermittently for a couple years, then quit altogether. After college I bought a Harman Kardon 495i (I'd wanted an HK340 when I bought the SX-780) but hung onto the Pioneer through 6 moves and triple that number of years.
Years ago I logged on here and found the fix to my issue: the common and well-chronicled cold solder joint failure. With that fixed easily enough, the Pioneer has been working flawlessly ever since in my airbrushing studio for the past 7 or so years. The original Pioneer Project 120 speakers were lost in a flood 20 years ago and last year I added compact JBL speakers to the basement set-up. It's kind of fun to connect my phone or iPad to the ancient Pioneer and blast Pandora or XM tunes through it though I was thinking earlier tonight of connecting the turntable and spinning some old vinyl for old time's sake.

Good possibility you will remember why analog is still the choice of so many. I will admit that the easy way seems to be the new way. I guess at least for me is that I need to feel like I had to earn the music. It's good to have the satisfaction of a heavy dial and the ritual of a spotless record so any flaws will
Be the failure not of the media but of the personal caretaker of the sound. I have no fact that at least to my perception its apples to oranges. Freedom of choice of course.
Old school mind, body and systems, cheers

Back
Top Bottom