sx-780 problem, please help!

jsjazz

I have an sx-780 that just developed a tuning knob problem. It is very hard to turn. The tning string is not bound anywhere and the pointer does move but it's almost as though it was becoming frozen! Any ideas?
thanks
Jeff

In the other thread, you say you are looking for the tuning dial shaft. So...can I assume that you tightened the nut on the back and it snapped off?

If you didn't break anything, then use a socket (or small wrench), and loosten the small nut on the back of the flywheel weight...no need to remove it completely, but back it off about 5 or 6 threads (it has some kind of Loctite on it, so it turns kinda hard). Now, with one hand, hold the large flywheel at the back, and with the other, grab the tuning dial at the front, and 'unscrew' it (turning counterclockwise). Actually, all you are wanting to do is to loosten it a little so it isn't so tight. Once you get it where you want, hold the tuning dial in place at the front, and retighten the nut at the rear. Snug it down, but do not overtighten it..it will break too easily.

If you've already busted the nut off, you can still fix it. Hold the flywheel as above, and unscrew the shaft by turning the tuning dial. Unscrew the dial to where you can peer into the threads at the rear of the flywheel and see 4 or 5 threads deep. Mix up some epoxy, or JB Weld, and cram some into the threads, then screw the shaft back in to the point where the dial still turns easily but the slack is taken up. Let it set till it cures. It should be fine as long as you don't flip the tuning dial real hard.

Oh...and there is a possibility that B3Nut might have some parts if you can't get this fixed or if the nut is busted off and you'd like to replace the shaft rather than use the epoxy/JB Weld trick.

sx-780

Thanks Echo. B3Nut thought he might have a shaft for me. I've gotten the shaft from people before but this time I'm actually looking forward to it!
Jeff

Try to fix the one you got? The only reason you would need to replace it is if it was broke. As it is, it's simply too tight. Loosten it up and you don't have to replace anything.

Back
Top Bottom