1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

SX-828 Rebuild - anything to note?

Discussion in 'Pioneer Audio' started by EastPoint, Jun 22, 2018.

1. EastPoint

EastPoint Factory Code No. 4200 Subscriber

Second one is almost done. Just the main caps and a few tuner caps on this. Amp board was a lot quicker now that I know how everything goes.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. Pioneered

Pioneered Well-Known Member

Glad everything is going well for ya on this. I have a 828 myself that could certainly use a restore so I'm rooting for ya.

3. EastPoint

Thank you! The 828 is a challenge but not that bad as long as you're patient on the preamp board, watch your transistor pinouts, and take lots of pictures, since you're probably going to break a few wires.

Pioneered likes this.
  4. Pioneered

Pioneered Well-Known Member

Ya know there was a time I could have tackled this sort of job but, not anymore. I'm much older now and I've forgotten too many things and I'm just not confident
    about my abilities anymore. Hopefully I'll be able to save up and have someone who does this sort of thing all the time tackle it for me.
    I've had my system for more then 25 years and I certainly don't want to lose it because of something I did wrong.

5. kvining

kvining Active Member

I got an estimate on recapping my 828, came in at $500, after reading this thread I'm beginning to think it's worth it.

Pioneered likes this.
  6. EastPoint

That's probably about right, but I'm sure plenty of folks on here would do it for less. It's a big job, but it's not THAT big.

Pioneered likes this.

Please register to disable this ad.

7. kvining

kvining Active Member

He was going to do a lot more than a straight re-cap, replace some well known bad trans and such, given shop labor rates it sounds reasonable to me for a complete overhaul by a degreed EE with 40’years experience.

8. EastPoint

Well, I thought I was finished with one of these, but now it's dropping a channel occasionally, and it seems to be the relay, so I ordered one of those and will get that swapped. Mouser wants 14 bucks for the relay, but Newark has it for like 7 plus shipping, and Amazon has it at 11 with free shipping, so hopefully that will work out.