SX-838 functions

denniswilson

Heres an interesting question.
Does anybody know if the FM section (meters and stereo indicator)
should "shut-off" when switching to phono,aux etc?
Naturally it does when switching to AM,
However, I would think that the signal strength should go to 0 and the stereo light should go out when in aux or phono. I know the pointer lamp is always on..(I used to have a SX-535)
Cleaned all switches with contact cleaner and switches function fine and are quiet

Welcome to AK. I have an SX 838 and the meters and stereo indicator remain on when switched to the AUX position.

mac

Thanks mac,
I feel better now !
I guess its normal.
I just picked this up at my neighborhood audio salon.
The only thing I really need is a new set of meters.
The plastic case backing on these turned yellow and I dont have that
blue illumination.
Otherwise it seems pretty good. I used to have a SX-535 when I was a little kid in 1974. I used to keep the white fabric elastic cover that it came packed with over it when not in use. That entry level receiver was mint. I also had a SA-8500 II. Boy I wish I had these pieces now.

I just checked to make sure. When the AUX function is selected the tuning meters and stereo indicator function as if the FM was selected. The 1010 does not but the 737 does. Curious :scratch2:

mac

Checked the 424 and the meter light and indicator light go out when swtched to anything but tuner functions.

mac

THe 838's FM should stay active, as you can set the record selector to record from FM while listening to another source. It stays up on mine...

TP

Dennis, I also have these meters with that blue backing in nearly mint condition
they came from a SX-636 receiver, I think they should fit the 838. :yes:

< snip >
The only thing I really need is a new set of meters.
The plastic case backing on these turned yellow and I dont have that
blue illumination.

I don't have my SX 636 running right now but the FM meters stay light all the time, FM selected or not. When in FM mode, the 'stereo' indicator lamp goes on when in tune. I think the orange tip dial pointer only goes on in FM mode.

MattFLA

Last edited:
The 636 meters are too small for an 838...the 838-1010 used a wider meter than the 434-737.

TP

B3Nut is right.
I researched the part numbers on the Pioneer USA web site.
the SX-636,737, 838 have different part numbers for the FM meters.
Thanks anyway Mr Limped! :)

Never got a response about the dial pointer assembly scan I sent ya, did you receive it and is it what you're looking for?

denniswilson said:
B3Nut is right.
I researched the part numbers on the Pioneer USA web site.
the SX-636,737, 838 have different part numbers for the FM meters.
Thanks anyway Mr Limped! :)

Back
Top Bottom