Sx-838!

Hey B3...

If stereofisher's Treble pot won't do I have an SX-550 with a 10 step pot, and knob you can have!

Greg

Thanks guys! I've PM'd Kam already since he's parting an 838 out...I also have a 780 carcass that has a couple 100K stepped tone pots, shafts look the same, so I might be able to shove one in if need be.

Also if anyone needs 780 bits, let me know, I've been slowly stripping a 780 chassis. I have one good STK-0050 if someone needs one.

This 838 is really singing, haven't had a chance to really open her up yet but I know she's got it in her. I do notice a pop when changing treble turnover, only the first time you move the switch. Keep moving it and it goes away. Sounds like a burst of DC, which I'll bet dollars to donuts is a leaky coupling cap in the tone circuit. No matter, once I get the rest of her sorted a complete re-cap is in order, it's almost 30 years old so it'd be silly to leave most of the original 'lytics in it, though the main power supply caps seem to be fine, no bulging and no hum in the audio.

Sturdy beastie, this girl.

TP

Last edited:
Nice score Todd!!I pulled off a score friday morning at a yard sale.I scored an SX-737 and a pair of pioneer CS-63DX speakers for $30.00.The sound is GREAT!!I found out the speaks sold for $850.00 in 1975 and had to be special ordered.I`m a happy camper!!:D

As I have been saying for some time now
this series was a hell of a line up...the 1010 is the king of the tripe
we all know this.Even if only purely historically..but the 1010 is more than that a lot more...this one of mine wipes the floor with anything pioneer that I own with ease and with a smile...

yes I am now looking for the whole series as well as the very underated QX series..these are the the ones that the world don't like eh!! more fool them!!!....it's all power,more power, 160 wpc,180wpc,270wpc, crap...the best are these little girls belive me as I said over a year ago this was going to happen..and it is..
for me you can keep the over powered units and give me a sx 1010 any day...just my thoughts on this but you all know this sh!t
already.....So I'll shut up now with a smile.....told ya!!

Amen

Larry,
I agree with you. . . In my mind optimum for a receiver is 100 watts. Bigger should be seperates. Too heavy for one, too big for another. Besides where I use a receiver is in smaller rooms. I use a sub with the under 50-60 watters anyway. . . I wont be using a sub with my SX-1010 though the big JBLs are good down into the high 20s. . . Flat to 32 or so. . . Besides I dont need that big bass except for HT. . . And I use a sub there too. SVS-2039 driven by an Adcom GFA-565. . . It will rattle the neighbors windows. . .

Originally posted by B3Nut
Thanks guys! I've PM'd Kam already since he's parting an 838 out...I also have a 780 carcass that has a couple 100K stepped tone pots, shafts look the same, so I might be able to shove one in if need be.

Also if anyone needs 780 bits, let me know, I've been slowly stripping a 780 chassis. I have one good STK-0050 if someone needs one.

This 838 is really singing, haven't had a chance to really open her up yet but I know she's got it in her. I do notice a pop when changing treble turnover, only the first time you move the switch. Keep moving it and it goes away. Sounds like a burst of DC, which I'll bet dollars to donuts is a leaky coupling cap in the tone circuit. No matter, once I get the rest of her sorted a complete re-cap is in order, it's almost 30 years old so it'd be silly to leave most of the original 'lytics in it, though the main power supply caps seem to be fine, no bulging and no hum in the audio.

Sturdy beastie, this girl.

TP

I'm sending you the whole tone board with switches, I just yanked it as a unit. Should make the replacement that much easier :)

it's the best audio forum on the net by far...thanx Kam,bully & co
for such a great place to have the crack and learn about all our
beloved vintage and dear I say it modern gear....

thanx again guy's

fondest regards larry (((UK)))

Kam, you RAWK! Thanks man!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:guitar: :guitar: :yippy: :beerchug: :beer: :banana:

Like I said, if anyone needs SX-780 bits.... :)

TP

Originally posted by Good Vibrations
Nice score Todd!!I pulled off a score friday morning at a yard sale.I scored an SX-737 and a pair of pioneer CS-63DX speakers for $30.00.The sound is GREAT!!I found out the speaks sold for $850.00 in 1975 and had to be special ordered.I`m a happy camper!!:D

O wow! Post pics of that score...killer! You can't beat any vintage Pioneer, but these x3x/1010 units are simply stunning. The build of these is simply incredible. I'll shoot better nudies when the tone board arrives, as I'll have to do a lot of dismantling....dang things are built like battleships.

TP

Pioneer Rules stereofisher gave me the Bass Pot Thanks again Stereofisher. Correction on the Bass Pot Stereofisher thought it was for a SX-727 of mine it was not it was for my SX-980 I have the pots from my sx727 they would not work for my SX980.
So the Pot stereofisher gave me will fit a SX-980 but will not work on a SX-727. I hope this clears up a misunderstanding.

AK RULES

Hoo-ee, I'm looking at the 838 tone control board right now ... right next to the board on which the volume pot I gotta replace is. It isn't obvious at all how to get at these things.

Oh wait, here are some screws. I am thinking, pull the knobs and the faceplate and then go from there? Hope it goes well with your tone control board - looking forward to the pics.

Last edited:
Here's how to get at the tone board:

1. Remove the 4 Phillips screws holding the cover on.

2. Remove the knobs on the unit, there will be two nuts on two of the controls, use needlenose or standard pliers.

3. Remove the switch lever covers, and the tuning knob (tuning knob is a 1.5 mm Allen).

4. Remove the screws on the top side of the face that are hidden under the top cover.

5. Pull the faceplate off

6. Remove the screws that hold the control panel on the front (three on each side), and then remove the screws that hold the controls on (8-10).

7. Remove the nuts holding the 1/4" jacks on the front panel

8. Remove the control panel bracket.

On the tone board, I believe there are 8 or so wires there. Swap them over and you're done! Just make sure you have 2 or 3 trays ready to accept different size screws :)

And watch out for that dial pointer, or it'll end up looking like mine. :(

It still glows, just not as brightly as it did before I klutzified it.

Working on these is actually easier once you get to the boards since they're all modular. Getting to the front boards is a pain at first though.

TP

Originally posted by B3Nut
And watch out for that dial pointer, or it'll end up looking like mine. :(

It still glows, just not as brightly as it did before I klutzified it.

Working on these is actually easier once you get to the boards since they're all modular. Getting to the front boards is a pain at first though.

TP

Do you need a working dial pointer? I think I have one....

Oh man....that would be way cool if ya do...

Tnx! :D

TP, chilling to some 838-powered tunes...

Back
Top Bottom