1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

sx-850 vs sx-980

Discussion in 'Pioneer Audio' started by james m, Oct 10, 2018.

1. james m

james m Member

i know about the power difference of the two. how the build and sound quality between these two? i have a chance to trade the 850 for the 980 even over. would this be a good trade?

Please register to disable this ad.

2. james m

james m Member

i do love the 850 and never have heard a 980.but love the meters on the 980.

3. ivandezande

ivandezande Super Member

I'd stick with the 850.

4. SimplerTimes

SimplerTimes Member

If it were a question between the 850 and the 950, then I would definitely say go with the 950 as I have owned both and the extra 20 watts are noticeable. However, although I have yet to hear a 980, I do own a 650 and a 780 and IMO the 650 sounds better. Can the same logic be applied to an 850 vs a 980? I can’t answer that, but it may give you a clue.

5. john stumpf

john stumpf AK Subscriber Subscriber

owned and rebuilt the 880 and 850.the 850 sounded different better or worse is subjective.the extra meters have their appeal on the 880,but its not enough to offset the higher construction quality of the 850,nor do those meters make up for the unobtainium parts found in the 880. the 850 has a better tuner as well. but YOU DID ask about the 980! i i just dont know,but i do have a 1080 which sounds pretty good and is better build quality than the 880 hands down but still has those irreplaceable parts.but i still havent answered your question!knowing what i know about these three i can offer an opinion,if it was a choice i could not undo for eternity,i'd take the 850.

6. rcs16

rcs16 Super Member

Are you able to evaluate the 2 side by side (850 vs the 980 ) that may make your decision easier.
    The PA design in the 980 was an improvement except the o/p devices they chose, it was at a stage where they where using lower cost o/p devices, TO-3 metal cans cost saving, but TO-3 hermetically sealed devices are more reliable packages than the plastic versions.
    As far a serviceability 850 hands down the better of the 2, unless you want to find all the spare parts necessary for a 980. I have a 950 from new, it is fairly easy to service, very similar to a 850. I would not trade my 950 for a 980

Last edited: Oct 11, 2018

Please register to disable this ad.