SX-880 Restore and Questions

ivandezande

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Just picked up this guy and it appeared to be working pretty well in the short time I tested it using FM and speakers. Brought it home and it looked like multiple vacuums had been emptied straight into it, so naysayers begone - I dumped a ton of water through it as I occasionally do (nothing bad has happened yet), being kinda wary of the tuner and the transformer.
IMG_5254.jpg
Stuck a few new caps in from what I had on hand and few hours later, turned down bias, and fired her up.
Relay clicked, doesn't like the volume being turned up fast, even though I cleaned the pot, signal meters jump.

Bias is fine, however DC offset is atrocious! It will go down as I adjust, then straight back up....the low point seems to be almost half a volt on both channels, one being a little better.

I see the burnt-to-death transistor in the middle of the board, is the best solution a bigger heatsink? Or what this guy does here? : http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/pioneer-sx-880-protection-circuit-fixes.679172/
And is he right about the protection capacitor? I don't see anything else that has that suggestion, so I'm wary. I've done some digging on AK, but if there's any defacto things to do with this model, please do tell!

Also, is anyone on AK doing wood cases for these guys?

Last edited:
Well I suppose I might as well update the thread regardless, got her almost all wrapped up. USPS has appeared to have lost the knob I bought, the FM is still being weird as far as the level and reacting to the FM muting switch, and the phono has a terrible buzz on one channel with nothing connected, but hey, the aux works! Nice receiver, I still like the x3x series the best, but the black watt meters are pretty sweet.
IMG_5290.jpg IMG_5289.jpg

Back
Top Bottom