SX-950 with JBL L100T's

Speakers are a matter of personal taste.
The SX-950 (I've got one in my bedroom system) is a great receiver and is certainly capable of powering the JBLs so you're good in that regard.

I can't imagine that it would be a bad match. I used a Pioneer SX-1050 for a while to power my JBL L150 speakers and it sounded very good. The only potential "issue" might be power, but that really comes down to how loud you enjoy your music. I pushed my SX-1050 (120wpc into 8ohms) to it's limits when I used it, with the face-plate lights dimming every time the bass hit. The SX-950 has even less power to work with (85wpc into 8ohms). The SX-950 also puts out only slightly more power into 4ohms vs 8ohms (110wpc vs 85wpc). That further shows that it doesn't have much current available. Amps ideally double their output from 8ohms to 4ohms, or if not, at least put out a lot more. The L100T speakers are 8ohm speakers, but they do dip down below 6ohms at several points on their impedance curve. Again, none of that really matters unless you like your music loud. If you do, the L100T speakers can take several hundred watts and ask for more.

That was a concern, sometimes I like to put on some Motörhead and the only way to play that is loud! I was just curious if the 950 could push the jbl' to their potential.

One solution is to buy a powered sub and high-pass your main speakers, leaves more available power for the rest of the music.

Back
Top Bottom