SX-980 Does Not Fit In Stereo Rack!!!!!

Oh Ya Love the smell of my Teac RTR's. My 3300S with 10.5in Reels I can smell 4 feet away you allways know when its running. :banana: :banana:

Ron

Speaking of units not fitting in racks. I was shock when my 3700 arrived and wouldn't fit. It's sitting on top. Then the big guys came and things really got ugly. I'm going to have something custom built for everything.

My opinion is you got it backwards, you fit the rack to the gear. I shudder to think of any modifications being done to a nice receiver. I remember a Marantz 2285B on Ebay awhile back that someone CUT the faceplate just on one side to fit in a rack...Just my 2 cents.

VintageNut said:
My opinion is you got it backwards, you fit the rack to the gear. I shudder to think of any modifications being done to a nice receiver. I remember a Marantz 2285B on Ebay awhile back that someone CUT the faceplate just on one side to fit in a rack...Just my 2 cents.

I agree. I would never modify a piece of equipment permanently. But I might remove the case.

I do not plan on cutting or modifying anything on the 980. Seeing that I've already made the cabinet and installed it (pain in the a** installing, but it's in now), I need to find a way to get the 980 into it. Is there a way to leave the top on, removing only the side wood and the two small pieces that are flush with the faceplate? I have the same concern with dust from the top, not as much from the sides and would rather keep the top on. I'm thinking I can get a piece of wood, groove vents if needed into it and then place it on top.

Cosmetically, not having the wood pieces next to the faceplate is that big a deal, and nobody will see the receiver from the side with only a 1/4 to 1/2 inch between the receiver and the side of the stereo box. But, dust will come in there as I will have the pancake fan on whenever the receiver is powered up.

The wood trim on each side of the faceplate come off pretty easily. Just take off the faceplate to gain access to the screws on each side. But remember, the wood case meets flush with the wood trim, so even with removing the trim and leaving the wood case on, it's still the same width as before, you'll just have gaps up front where the trim was. The trim pieces are just small rectangles of about 5/8 inch on each side, they don't run the length of the case toward the rear. Here'a pic of a trim piece off of a SX-1250, bigger than the SX-980, but made the same way. The top wood and the side wood are glued together. They don't separate.

Last edited:
There is no way to seprate the top from the sides of the cabinet without destroying it. All I can say is wait to see if she will fit with the cab on. I would hate to say this but I dont think putting your 980 in a tight fitting enclosure is a good idea. Because of the lack of proper cooling :no: I have my 980 where it gets all the venting it needs same with all of my Receivers. I put my turntable on top of it once and that was a big mistake allmost had a meltdown. just my 2 cents.

Ron

Yes, if it fits tight into the rack, leave some 2inches of free ir over the top to let the heat disappear.

Thanks Pioneer 727 for the tip on ventilation. There will be at least 4 inches above it and 3-4 inches behind open. Also, on the side wall near the rear of where the receiver will be I installed a pancake fan (the ones that are in PC's) that will move air out of the box. It moves really good, makes virtually no noice, and I'm hoping it provides enough air circulation to keep things cool....

How hot do these things get? I have a newer Denon surrond sound receiver (piece of junk) that gets pretty warm after only 20 minutes or so, do the 980's tend to run hot?

The only problem with the 980 is it has small heatsinks on the power supply Transistors and they get hot so if you block the vents they will not last for long mine had a problem with one it had got so hot one leg on one of the transistors had detached from the trace and the trace had a crack in it. after I fixed it I checked them and they do get hot. EW did a thread on replacing the heatsinks with better ones. I have yet to do it thu.

Ron

Just wanted to close the loop on this. The receiver is just shy of 22" wide, it fit nice and snug in the stereo box. I tested it at a pretty loud volume for about an hour and the box did not get hot at all (must be that high velocity pancake fan!!!).

Thanks to all for your assistance and ideas.

Back
Top Bottom