SX-990 FM Signal/Tuning METERS

mustang1102

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
I've been working on restoring a SX-990, have it working well, cleaned, recapped, dialed in, etc. At the point now replacing all the burnt bulbs and indicator lights.

The FM Signal Meter and Tuning Meters have been melted by the bulb illuminating it from behind, they are both kind of warped and the plastic inlays inside of the meters that say "FM SIGNAL" and "TUNING" have not only come loose and fallen inside the housing, but have also curled to the point that they interfere with the meter needle be able to swing freely. The inlays are also very discolored and darkened due to the heat of the bulb cooking them all these years.

I don't want to sink a ton of money into this, I'm going to try and "flatten" the inlays out enough and glue them back into position, to the point that the meters will be able to swing and work properly, but wanted to ask if anyone knows of any tips, tricks, or aftermarket items available for replacing or restoring them so they function, look, and work properly. Did a couple searchs but came up empty. Found one of them on eBay, but not the other......Or, is it just not worth pursuing any further. Your thoughts or ideas........?

What do you have to lose? The meter cases can usually be disassembled while leaving the movement intact. After that, perhaps a little judicious heat and them polishing to remove yellowed plastic might work.

just might be the same as a sx1500td not sure but could also be for sx9000 too, and maybe others. its worth a part number search if you see someone parting either set out on fleabay. great spot for an led,but as the orig.bulb is candelabra base and leds dont create light to the sides it would require a complete re engineering of the meter lighting and there's not a lot of room in there.my 1500td is acting up ill have a look as i dont recall its all led except those meter lights and fitting was an issue which is why the originals were retained in my case.

Last edited:
What do you have to lose? The meter cases can usually be disassembled while leaving the movement intact. After that, perhaps a little judicious heat and them polishing to remove yellowed plastic might work.
Thanks Watthour.....the meter cases actually fell apart when I pulled them out. I was thinking along the same lines as you, hoping some heat will be able to get them back in shape enough to make them functional. Didn’t think of polishing, so that’s a great idea to try. Thanks again, really value the input.

just might be the same as a sx1500td not sure but could also be for sx9000 too. its worth a part number search if you see someone parting either set out on fleabay
Yes, I believe they are the same as the sx-1500. I did find one of them on the bay, but they were asking $22. Really not sure I want to invest that kind of $. Thank you for the response, I’ll have to sleep on that.

just might be the same as a sx1500td not sure but could also be for sx9000 too, and maybe others. its worth a part number search if you see someone parting either set out on fleabay. great spot for an led,but as the orig.bulb is candelabra base and leds dont create light to the sides it would require a complete re engineering of the meter lighting and there's not a lot of room in there.my 1500td is acting up ill have a look as i dont recall its all led except those meter lights and fitting was an issue which is why the originals were retained in my case.
Oh, now that’s interesting. I ordered led’s as replacements which will be here Friday. Didn’t think about a fitting problem or getting the light directional into the meter backs. I guess I’ll find out what that’s all about when I get them, was hoping to eliminate the heat issue with the original bulbs, that’s what caused all this problem in the first place.
As an aside, I did order the wheat bulb for the dial indicator needle as well, finally figured out how to tear it down tonight to get at it, wasn’t as bad as it first looked like. Hopefully it will all be good when it’s back together. Again, thank you for your advice .

sx990,1500td and sx9000 all share the same meter part numbers,a91-009d and a91-008d. yeah 22$ sounds like a lot and not trying to do value judgements for you. but 22 bucks dont spend like it used to and as these things are parted out sold or thrown in the bin will get scarcer.whats available today may not be found at any price a year or so from now. who knows? there was a person selling all the internals from these sets a while back on the bay for 60 bucks all the switches all the boards except the main amp board for 60$. no i didnt want to spend 60$ and 45$ in shipping but i did. and it was a lucky good decision as i needed three switches and bulb holder parts to boot.fixing antiques is expensive but this old stereo stuff is cheap compared to cars and brit bikes. i hope this helps. post scriptum i didnt think about the directional or fitting issue either or the fitting! it was 3 yrs ago but i'll re visit it as your problem has my interest piqued.

Last edited:
i almost forgot! those chinese screw in leds arent secured very well to the base neither are the bayonet base units. the fix is to run a bead of superglue where the bulb meets the base.if they twist relative to the base they will self destruct and blow the lighting fuse.and be damned careful as the screw in socket is easily damaged trying to twist an original bulb loose.its only held to its bracket by a TINY tubular rivet

If you can take picture of the meter, I can look and see if I have one(s). I am going through a very large box of parts (2'x2'x2') and I have seen some meters in there.

Monte

Ok, had to search for this thread, my content disappeared after the upgrade. I found a NOS meter, but it is different from yours, sorry.
IMG_0661.jpg
I will keep looking for you.

Ok, had to search for this thread, my content disappeared after the upgrade. I found a NOS meter, but it is different from yours, sorry.
View attachment 1262143
I will keep looking for you.
Again, appreciate your looking. I do see some on ebay that may work, although they are from a different model, they are the same size. I may have to spring for them.
Thanks again, you guys on AK are great !!

im into my 1500td and am in the process of making a new lamp bracket that will accept two fuse holders for led's. i think i know why your meters were melted. ill wager they,the bulb sockets, were inadvertently installed the wrong way on the bracket,the bulb sockets are on the back side of the mounting bracket and only the glass portion of the bulb peeks out beyond the bracket.installed the wrong way and the bulb is right up next to the meter! mine still had the original tamper seal paint un broken so i know what the correct way was originally.perhaps it was an attempt to get some "more light on the subject"!

481E7FF4-A017-4B48-854D-2E9654DA3316.jpeg 58069FAC-8AD4-4B65-ADE9-268D46FB68D0.jpeg
im into my 1500td and am in the process of making a new lamp bracket that will accept two fuse holders for led's. i think i know why your meters were melted. ill wager they,the bulb sockets, were inadvertently installed the wrong way on the bracket,the bulb sockets are on the back side of the mounting bracket and only the glass portion of the bulb peeks out beyond the bracket.installed the wrong way and the bulb is right up next to the meter! mine still had the original tamper seal paint un broken so i know what the correct way was originally.perhaps it was an attempt to get some "more light on the subject"!
Attached is a picture of how the bulb bracket looked before I started. I understand what you are describing, so take a look at this and tell me if it looks correct to you or not.....I think it was okay..? Not sure now.
Just to give you an update on the meters, I gave up on trying to restore the originals. I snagged a couple off eBay for $22 that were actually designed for a QX-8000/SX-6000 receiver. They are the same size and shape, but have a blue color lens/ cover on the front instead of the green lens on the originals. I tried putting the geeen lens on them, but the color with the light behind it was kinda crappy looking. I think the blue ones look good, pic attached. So, I think we are complete on the 990 now, unless you think I need to change the bulb bracket. I Thank you again for the follow up and advice, really appreciate it.

its hard to see but it looks right to me,of course you have led's now so its a done deal. i just finished and installed the new bracket with fuse lamp led's a HUGE improvement. its just as well as one of the screw in sockets fell apart in my hand yes yours looks real nice with those blue windows. mine show yellow with a warm white led but now nice and bright,

its hard to see but it looks right to me,of course you have led's now so its a done deal. i just finished and installed the new bracket with fuse lamp led's a HUGE improvement. its just as well as one of the screw in sockets fell apart in my hand yes yours looks real nice with those blue windows. mine show yellow with a warm white led but now nice and bright,
I like the idea of using fuse lamps there instead of led's......something I wouldn't have thought of. I'm going to have to remember that one, its a good idea. Thanks.

i used two fuse holder's from a sx9000 parts lot i got as they were bottom entry for the solder tabs and low profile. the bracket i made from .040" sheet brass its the same width as the old bracket at its base (it tapers toward the ends) and its about 3/4 inch longer. the "L" section of the bracket is reversed for clearance.

Back
Top Bottom