SX1010 Is it the pinnacle of Pioneers Receiver engineering? Maybe it is!!

Discussion in 'Pioneer Audio' started by kevzep, May 10, 2018.

1. kevzep

kevzep Its all about the Music Subscriber

No surprise they continued using that front end as long as they did, its a pretty decent building block for a great tuner...

Please register to disable this ad.

2. LesE

LesE 110284 Subscriber

3. kevzep

4. UncleBingo

UncleBingo AK Subscriber Subscriber

Forgive me for being honest, but it's a "No" from me. Those pushbutton source selectors are a "Fail" over the long-term in my book. Same problem eliminates some of the SX-XX80 receivers for me. The 1010 does sound great. For my money the SX- X50/XX50 are the Pinnacle for Pioneer engineering. Sound wise for me the SX-737 and SX-828 and the rare SX-2500 fill out the lower power designs that sound good to me . Ymmv.

5. kevzep

Well, thats actually a fair comment about the pushbutton switches, they are a definite failure point, and some them are actually sealed so you cant dismantle them for cleaning like you can with the lever switches.
    The SX XX50 have those push buttons as well, but not as many.
    I have actually drilled holes in the back of some very troublesome pushbutton switches to be able to get contact cleaner into the actual conductor part of the switch.
    But it comes with the age of these units and I would think in another 20 years we'll be cursing those pushbutton switches even more!!

UncleBingo likes this.
  6. Nautiker

Nautiker AK Subscriber Subscriber

I've had an SX-1010 since my college days - mid 1970s, when it was brand new. Had it completely overhauled a few years back by a very good tech, who specializes in these units. Never had any problems with the pushbuttons, or any other aspect of this unit. Sounds fabulous and is the one receiver I won't ever be selling (I also have an SX-1250, Yamaha R-1000, Carver 6250 and Carver HR752)... (Playing it even now, with Braun L810s) :music: Great to hear that the OP has discovered this fab receiver...!

Fairlane, UncleBingo and Oldsansui441 like this.

Please register to disable this ad.

7. Oldsansui441

Oldsansui441 AK Subscriber Subscriber

Yes same here kevzep, l think l have seen one 939 and one 1010 for sale here in about three years and l scored the 939 which is about 9.5/10 condition :).

Yes, three filters and a 4 ganger.

That is a beautiful looking tuner, reminds me a bit of my Kenwood KT-917.

I'm not sure why many people seem to have problems with these, l cleaned mine once about three years ago and they are still completely trouble free and silent. They are easy to clean with the faceplate off from the front of the switches.

Last edited: May 17, 2018 at 12:50 AM
    UncleBingo and Nautiker like this.
  8. larryderouin

larryderouin Turn it UP, POP? PLLUUEEEZZZZZEE Subscriber

I shoot DeOxit & Faderlube in mine yearly when it gets it's clean and Preventive Maintenance done. Never had a problem with either the 1010 or 939 with regard to the push buttons. But I don't punch them 40-50 times to clean them. 20 is sufficient.

UncleBingo and AJD1964 like this.