SX780 Receiver purchase advice

Markansas

Hi, Markansas here, new to AK. I still have the PL400 TT I bought new in 1980, but my SX780 receiver is long departed. I have seen them on eBay for around $200, which I think is a fair price (about what I paid for my SX780 new), but have some trepidation about spending that kind of cash on an item that’s close to 40 years old. Can I get some advice about this? I don’t know a thing about electronics, except that my user experience with this model was outstanding until something in the amplifier section gave out, and was going to cost more than a replacement. I’d like to get it for myself for Christmas, to pair with a new 65” TV and my original Norman Labs Model 8 speakers. Info on best practices for making this kind of purchase, and referrals to any reputable dealers/sellers are appreciated. Thank you!

That is why we are here, to keep the old units running. We can re-build the amp section to last a life time. look at my replacement STK-0050 module thread.
$200 is not a really good deal bur if it is in excellent shape, it might be worth it to you. check it out however for issues like everything operates correctly, scratchy pots. intermittent switches etc

Welcome, good story. Yes, the 780 was Pioneer's workhorse receiver back in late '70s, with more sold than any other receiver. Prices have crept up towards the $300 mark lately, but you can find some really nice ones out there for less. The main issue with all 780s is the solder joints in the power regulator circuits, and most likely what the issue with yours was. I've re-flowed these solder joints on several of them and they go right back to working. With anything this age, replacing some of the bad caps, and leak transistors is mandatory. Good luck finding that pristine 780, I still have two of them. Show some pics of the Norman Labs. I have seen some pics of the 8 with clear poly cones. I believe the early 8s had rubber surrounds. Check your surrounds before you start pounding them again. I have a pair of 12" 3 way, Model 93 NLs that sound amazing. Good fortune.

Hi, Markansas here, new to AK. I still have the PL400 TT I bought new in 1980, but my SX780 receiver is long departed. I have seen them on eBay for around $200, which I think is a fair price (about what I paid for my SX780 new), but have some trepidation about spending that kind of cash on an item that’s close to 40 years old. Can I get some advice about this? I don’t know a thing about electronics, except that my user experience with this model was outstanding until something in the amplifier section gave out, and was going to cost more than a replacement. I’d like to get it for myself for Christmas, to pair with a new 65” TV and my original Norman Labs Model 8 speakers. Info on best practices for making this kind of purchase, and referrals to any reputable dealers/sellers are appreciated. Thank you!
If you want the receiver to "just work" without any service, then you might avoid Pioneer receivers from the 70s (or most "old" stereo equipment, though I believe some brands have a better service history than others). Most, if not all Pioneers from that era will develop issues and will need service. I got into this hobby a couple of years ago and since bought eight Pioneer receivers/integrated amps/tuners, including a 780. ALL of them needed some kind of service, even ones sold to me as fully working (they seemed so when I demoed them), but 5 minutes of evaluation is not going to turn up every possible issue. If you are OK with either doing service yourself or taking it to a tech and paying $$ for it, then the 70s Pioneers are great looking and sounding. If not, you will need to pay $$$ for a unit that has been fully restored, or look for something more modern. You might find something that has not been restored and is fully working, but odds are that eventually something will need service and/or fail, just as yours did years back.

https://annarbor.craigslist.org/ele/d/pioneer-sx-780/6696685473.html

I would buy this one from Jeff at Muse in a Heartbeat, he is the only TECH I know of in Michigan that has a History all the way back to his days with Tech HiFi and he has a great reputation.

I'm not affiliated ..but I have done some research because I need to get my Technics SA 600 fixed.
This SX-780 on CL would be the one to spend your money on if you absolutely have to have a 780. Call him and see what all has been done to it, but it appears to have already been taken care of. It looks perfect. Good post Harvestor.

IMG_0668.JPG Sorry here's the pic. Not sure what happened there. Also have model 331's

Attachments

• IMG_0668.JPG
    IMG_0668.JPG
    44.1 KB · Views: 3
IMG_0788.JPG Y
Those are beautiful speakers, is the woodgrain front original wood veneer?
yes they are all original minus the small base that has been removed due to damage from po not storing in a proper environment. They are kind of dry in pics and need a winter oiling. The earlier models had unfinished faces and the laters had poly woofers with foam surrounds. And thank you for your compliment. The way later models came in light options also. I have a pair or 332's in light finish only pair I've seen

Norman Labs has some really nice craftsmanship in their wood cabinets. Sadly, I've lost all the pictures off of my computer, or I would post a pic of mine.

I'll have to get a pic of the 332's with the other woofers in them. In the pic I posted they were wearing aftermarket. That was before I put the model 10 woofers in them. The ones in pic are cheap aftermarket that I had laying around when I first got this set the originals had foam rot. One of these days I'll reform them

Mine are darker than the 331s you have, but not as dark as the two pair in the first pic. Completely different wood veneers. Mine didn't have pedestals on them when new. I like pedestals, but I am going to make some simple stands for these. The speakers in my 93s are exactly like the ones in your 331s, except for that woofer. Absolutely cleanest mids and tweets I've ever heard.

Back
Top Bottom