Syllable Multiplication

I love the big words the newscasters use to make it sound like they're educated.

I'm more interested in the "scripted" and repetitive way announcers everywhere seem to say the same thing. Reminder - there are something like FIVE major outlets for everything you see and hear. I think Disney is now 40% of ALL movies.

See below -

It struck me today while reading a thread here that currently many people are using the word iteration instead of the simpler word version. Syllable multiplication is common of course but it’s amusing, especially when it ends up a malapropism such as when people say fitment instead of fit and simplistic instead of simple. Also a lot of people are using usage when the noun use is not only simpler but also more appropriate.

Of course the irony, an old one and source of much comedy, is that syllable multiplication intended to make the user appear more learned or sophisticated often has the opposite effect.
I've seen you opine ... er, pontificate ... no, expound ... okay, talk about ... this subject before, Tom. Big words of unnecessary complexity (sorry, a lot of syllables there) just sort of stick in your craw, don't they?

One syllable challenge:

S'up y'all! Aint life a hoot?

South Sided: "s'up y'all! N'lifuh 'oot?"

P.S. Further reduction acceptable: "s'upy'alln'lifu'oot?"

P.P.S. "But can you understand that as spoken?" -- "Да. With ease."

But I WANT to be a diseductated mormon! Where do I order this thingie??

I'm terribly late to this thread.

This one may be off topic a bit - rather than words that are too big, it's a case of too many words crammed into a sentence that should have been two or three.

upload_2019-3-13_14-13-1.gif

All of which is true, but the basic point of the sentence has been obscured by the addition of too much background info and definitions of terms.

Why can't we write as plainly as we speak? Can't we just fulfill obligations instead of establish, by a preponderance of evidence, their fulfillment?

The Small Business Liability Relief and Brownfields Revitalization Act, which amended CERCLA, requires those seeking to maintain CERCLA LLPs to fulfill certain continuing obligations after acquiring property.

Any of the stuff I left out can be put into one or more additional sentences - if it's actually that important to say it.

Which style would you rather read?

The gist of this thread reminded me of Hemingway's sparse writing style. I happen to be a fan.

Slide11-630x840.jpg

I like this quote too:

i-drink-to-make-other-people-more-interesting-ernest-hemingway-3613704.png

Last edited:
Papa had a style that transcended his knowledge. What was that dust-up he had with a critic of his sparse style??

FOUND IT....

It was William Faulkner -

Faulkner on Hemingway: "He has never been known to use a word that might send a reader to the dictionary."
Hemingway: "Poor Faulkner. Does he really think big emotions come from big words?"

img_EHk0cl.jpg

66FE1BCF-CA62-4EBC-9DD1-83359E17E08D.jpeg 731F3D06-B463-4FFC-8B74-4568FD6BB4A3.jpeg For clear and concise yet elegant writing try the autobiography of U.S. Grant. Or try damned near anything he wrote, such as his orders during the War of the Rebellion. The Official Records of the War of the Rebellion are online and Grant’s autobiography is available for free on Kindle.

Old Uncle Billy Sherman had a way with words too.

I find many great voices in the history books. Always admired the words of the greats such as Churchill, Lincoln, Jefferson, Madison, but it seems that there were so many eloquent men and women in that time.

I miss the days where a talented speaker using the magnificence of the English language wasn't lampooned or mocked for doing such. Christopher Hitchens, I miss ya, you lout. :(:angel:

Perhaps not as engaging a writer or speaker, but with more science chops, Richard Dawkins is most fortunately still with us.

Back
Top Bottom