System Synergies

lojyo610

I have a slightly modded Pro-Ject Debut III. The original Ortofon OM5e cartridge that came with it was okay, but very flat sounding. I tried an AT 440 MLa, not bad, but fatiguing. Next, a Grado Prestige Blue 1. The dreaded Grado Hum and really veiled high frequencies. I almost gave up on vinyl.

My last effort was an Ortofon 2M Red. What a difference! Close to the high frequency capabilities of the AT without the fatigue, no hum and very balanced overall sound.

Long story to get to the point - I think Pro-ject must have designed their entry level TT's using Ortofon's as their reference cartridges. Easy set up and great sound. I assume the more expensive Ortofon's would sound even better.

I wonder how many other manufacturers' equipment sound the best when paired with certain other components. The Arcam FMJ A19 is supposed sound great with KEF LS50's. Rotel's are supposed to sound best when paired with B&W's as they are distributed by the same group. I understand that the AT 440 MLa/b cartridges sound great on vintage Japanese turntables with higher mass "S" shaped tone arms. I also had a Philips AF 777 turntable that sounded fantastic with a Grado Green. No hum, great high frequencies, something of a mystery compared to the Grado on the Debut III.

Have any of you other AudioKarmoids had similar experiences?

That 2M red would occasionally outshine my Oppo playing cds. They say there is better out there, but I don't think I'll ever need better.

Back
Top Bottom