TA170AV Power Issues

StephenD

I was given my father's stereo equipment that had been boxed up in the garage for a long time. It's a Marantx setup he bought in 1987 or somewhere around that timeframe.

The receiver is a TA170AV.

Anyways the first issue is powering on the receiver. The standby light comes on and when you push it the relay clicks, then about 5 seconds later it clicks again.

The lights on the front never come on and the standby light remains lit. It seems like the backup power supply relay is the one switching on/off. It does not appear that the main power supply relay is being triggered.

I opened it up, replaced a few capacitors that looked like they had been leaking and cleaned it out with some compressed air. Put it back together and same results.

One of the ICs (Q852) on the backup power supply board (P854) was basically desoldered and the solder points on the board seemed pretty bad. I resoldered it as best as possible. The two ICs on the backup power supply board get very hot in the short amount of time I have had it on.

I have a service manual but I have only done minor electronics stuff. I am going to try and test the power coming out of the backup power supply to see if it is providing power to the main power supply (P704).

If I can't figure it out is it worth getting it repaired, I am aware that 80s Marantz items and not always considered that great (what little I have read).

Thanks,
Stephen

Back
Top Bottom