Table top am/fm radios

Discussion in 'New Gear - Performance' started by rxonmymind, Jan 19, 2018.

1. rxonmymind

rxonmymind AK Subscriber Subscriber

Anyone use one still?
    My wife just started her new job and asked if I could look for a radio. So off I went to research! After what I think was a pretty thorough review between this and the Tivoli I decided on a Sangean WR-SE11 40th anniversary radio. While most went new for $159+ I got lucky and snagged one for $110 with a Bluetooth adapter to fit in the back aux input for those times my wife wants to stream Pandora. Total $130.
    I'm digging the rotary dial knob.
    download.jpeg

wr11-02-2.jpg

Love the vintage look of these....
    My earliest memory of any stereo being four at the time was Dad's reel to reel stereo system. But the one that made an impression on me was over on a table was this HUGE gigantic radio. A Zenith trans Atlantic "Ocean" radio. I was fascinated with it's fold out feature and a picture of what I thought was the world. It neatly tucked away to become a suitcase. It was awesome that it transformed like that.

Love to see yours. Small or big. A table top radio.
    Cheers.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2018
    Tom White and WobblySam like this.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. bjlefebvre

bjlefebvre AK Subscriber Subscriber

I had a Tivoli Model 2 for the longest time - actually a little ticked that I eventually sold it. I might buy a Model 1 or a Sangean when we move to our new place and have room for a radio to go with the Amazon Dot in the kitchen.

rxonmymind likes this.
  3. Spence

Spence New Member

Here's my trusty little Sony ICF-38. It's unbelievable how many stations this thing pulls in. And the best part, it cost me 20 bucks new.

SONY.JPG

Celt and bjlefebvre like this.
  4. mhardy6647

mhardy6647 AK Subscriber Subscriber

This is our kitchen radio -- I am very happy with it. I especially like the fact that it has a "hot" AM tuner. I can receive WBZ-AM in Boston (120 miles away) even in the daytime. I just have to make sure the LED lights in the kitchen are turned off, otherwise the RFI hash wipes it out :)

[​IMG]
    http://www.sangean.com/products/product.asp?mid=153

The Tivoli basic FM radio is very nice, too. Do they still make it?
    Our daughter has a Tivoli PAL we got her when she matriculated into college (2002) -- she and her husband still use it regularly.

TudorTurtle likes this.
  5. rkgren1

rkgren1 Well-Known Member

Bose Wave radios sound great.
    They do not have that vintage look being discussed here.
    But it is hard to argue with the sound coming out of that small box.
    I have had one for about 10 years in daily use.

zebra03 likes this.
  6. saunadog

saunadog Well-Known Member

I use one of these guys in my bedroom, a thrift score for $9. Boston Acoustics receptor radio. Amazed at the bass this puts out!

ba.jpeg

7. DirtFarmer

DirtFarmer Active Member

I have one, too, and must say it has performed very, very well for me.

8. mgkfifty

mgkfifty Active Member

upload_2018-1-21_18-8-54.png Got one of these, Proton 320, rich full sound, strong tuner

Designdweeb, Wildcat and Bubbamike like this.
  9. sanford12

sanford12 Old Stuff New Stuff As long as it's Good Stuff Subscriber

I've owed every model of GE Super Radio and they are great radios. Have a model 2 & 3 now and the only way I'd sell one is if I found a nicer one. I've bought them as cheap as 5 bucks. They'll take a good bit of abuse and keep on ticking.

10. torotoro

torotoro New Member

I have a Tivoli model one, and while I like the retro looks, especially the dial, I find the sound colored and muted overall. I have 2 GE Superadios bought new that I wouldn’t give up for love nor money. The sound and reception are outstanding.

11. Djcoolray

Djcoolray Addicted Member

image.jpg
    GE.....Model No. 7-2810H
    Rat shack sold these in the early seventies and it is a favorite for taking to a picnic or Bar-B-Q because of how good it sounds. Pulls in staitions like a good tuner and has a broad spectrum of frequencies.

eizner23 likes this.

12. Djcoolray

Djcoolray Addicted Member

You know there are websites full of classics radios....

13. Rockyhill

Rockyhill No marigolds in the promised land Subscriber

Nakamichi TM-1. Clock radio with a separate external speaker that had time display and alarm shutoff.

14. Te-Te

Te-Te Learning never exhausts the mind. Subscriber

The one I use.
    IMG_2802.JPG

The one my wife uses.
    IMG_2801.JPG

15. likebike23

likebike23 Super Member

I picked up this KLH a little while back. It sounds good and has a good FM tuner too. I also have a Sony in the laundry room.
    IMG_20171206_105323393_HDR.jpg

16. c.coyle

c.coyle Fighting the Dunning-Kruger Effect Subscriber

I have a Tivoli 1 made in 2001 in the bedroom. It gets 20 minutes run time in the morning, and that's about it. I think it sounds real nice for a tiny speaker. It looks great. I opened it up once just to look around, and thought the construction was pretty flimsy.

I also have a GE Monitor 10 that I use in the bathroom. It's a beast.

17. mr_light

mr_light AK Subscriber Subscriber

I have a Bose Wave, Tivoli One, and KLH. All sound great. These days I think having an Aux in is critical to future-proof your purchase. I have Amazon Echo dots sitting on top of the Bose Wave and Tivoli. The KLH just sits because of no Aux :( .

18. c.coyle

c.coyle Fighting the Dunning-Kruger Effect Subscriber

Definitely. I have this Cambridge Soundworks 730 on my desk. 2 Aux inputs. I play music, streams, and podcasts from my notebook.

Cambridge.jpg

musichal likes this.
  19. eizner23

eizner23 Active Member

I went to town on a Sony High Fidelity ICF-9650W AM/FM. In aged stock form it wasnt too great. Replaced the amp IC, wires, resistors with 1% metal films, caps with Fine Gold/Silmic and all transistors. Couldnt believe the sound, comparable to CD quality. Best table radio I ever heard.

sony-radio.jpg

20. likebike23

likebike23 Super Member

I can definitely relate to that. The KLH resides in the basement getting occasional use. I would put it in the kitchen if it had an aux, but it doesn't. Has anyone used an FM transmitter as an aux?