Table top am/fm radios

Discussion in 'New Gear - Performance' started by rxonmymind, Jan 19, 2018.

1. N8Nagel

N8Nagel Addicted Member

Maybe 10 years ago I lived a block away from a Yellow Cab repair garage... That'll make you jump for sure! I can't remember if it was an old boom box or its replacement, a Blaupunkt tube radio, but that came through. Didn't happen often, and it was infrequent enough that the sudden burst of loud ET sounding noise coming out of a powered down unit made you jump out of your trousers...

red 111 and Te-Te like this.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. musichal

musichal poet emeritus Subscriber

While the Crane EP model isn't really a tabletop radio, that is usually how it is used, I think. Plugged into AC in a kitchen or bath... as a large-by-today's-standards portable with a 5" speaker and a Tone control, it doesn't sound as good as the better table-top models, but is a very good RF performer for AM and FM. Changed to EP Pro in last couple weeks. I love my EP. Becomes main system during a power outage.

3. Tom White

Tom White Member

The EP is, in fact, a good looking radio. I tried a couple of them over a couple years, but for various reasons they just didn't do it for me. As you said, the sound is not what it could be.

Actually, I've tried a few from CCrane and have wound up returning all of them. It may have been a case of taking to much of their "hype" to heart and had too high of expectations. That "twin coil" antenna seems to be more of a gimmick than anything more. Plus, the price for their products has always seemed a bit high to me. They're not the only ones though.

4. red 111

red 111 AK Subscriber Subscriber

IMG_1407.JPG IMG_1408.JPG IMG_1412.JPG IMG_1413.JPG On closeout a few years back, i got the Tivoli Satellite & matching stereo speaker for $60 each.....great combo for $120...sound is nice & clear...i could have also purchased the CD player,but it only did redbook CDs,no CDR,so i passed on it. I never used the Sirius feature...just the FM & AM modes.

rxonmymind, Designdweeb and musichal like this.
  5. mikeybc

mikeybc Listener

Have 5 radios I use

On night table, JVC FS-2000, surprising AM reception
    CB7A18F6-AC05-45F4-8AB3-644147243531.jpeg

On table beside night table, Panasonic RF-1170 great reception, it matches the CCradio 2E on AM and FM
    F2772FD9-5E29-4646-A145-59E2719372C6.jpeg

On headboard, CCradio 2E, my main radio
    4236DA91-C506-483D-B28A-DE50AEFBA9AB.jpeg

Also on headboard, Sangean PR-D15
    79DD5AFD-B61A-4B74-800F-D08BFFEF72D1.jpeg

My travel Radio, Eton E5, packs nicely in a suitcase
    33862F91-E822-47EC-AA74-87D504E92E86.jpeg

Also have a GE Superadio 3 that we use when we go boating, great battery life on this radio. FM reception sucks though :(

red 111 likes this.
  6. Wildcat

Wildcat Audio Sommelier

I saw this for a couple of years at a local department store. Never bought it. Then I found some surplus/auction type of site back in the late 90s and it was dirt cheap. I don't use the speakers that came with it--I have it wired to some old Boston A40s in the kitchen. The CD and cassette player still work but I never use them. Heck if I know what's on that cassette now. :D But just below the glowing red light with the pink USB power cable is the Chromecast Audio that is plugged into the Aux input. This is inside a large kitchen cabinet. Now I just have to say "Hey Google...Mambo!" and it tunes to my Mambo/Salsa Pandora channel and plays on this system. :D

I'm not sure what power it's rated at, but it gets plenty loud. I don't have an antenna hooked up, but it used to pull in stations decently. The light in the display is burned out though, so it's a bit hard to see it.

IMG_20180308_160735-01.jpeg

7. audiotemp

audiotemp Well-Known Member

This is my Vers Audio 1.5R clock/radio/dock. It has dual alarms and a sleep timer function, all of which work with either the radio or iPod. The display is a monochrome LCD with white backlight that matches the one in the iPod mini pretty well. The wood box is nicely walnut veneered and has a tuned port in the back that produces decent bass.
    vers.jpg

Last edited: Mar 17, 2018
    rxonmymind and Te-Te like this.
  8. slow_jazz

slow_jazz Lunatic Member

Another vote for GE Super radio.

9. KG_Jag

KG_Jag Member

I had a new one of these great not-so-little mono radio. Liked it so much I got one for my folks, who then lived in Wisconsin. They brought it to Texas with them.

10. KG_Jag

KG_Jag Member

I still have and use my 1970 Sony TFM-7260W. It's a great bathroom radio.

I also have an early/mid 60's vintage Hallicrafters SX-122 short wave (including AM) radio with detached speaker.

rxonmymind, musichal and red 111 like this.
  11. sanford12

sanford12 Old Stuff New Stuff As long as it's Good Stuff Subscriber

If Fm sucks on that GE it's either location(lots of hills around the water) or the radios bad. The FM reception on the ones I've owned has been very good to excellent

12. mikeybc

mikeybc Listener

Actually just small rolling hills but we always use it while on a boat. I’ll have to take another radio this year to see. AM performance is quite good.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
    Te-Te likes this.
  13. Spacey37308

Spacey37308 AK Subscriber Subscriber

Here's mine

Attached Files:

14. c.coyle

c.coyle AK Subscriber Subscriber

Gorgeous!

15. BruceRPA

BruceRPA AK Subscriber Subscriber

NOW you’re talkin’! The old tube type Zenith radios are the best. There is nothing like listening to distant AM broadcast stations late at night or just as the sun is about to come up.

rxonmymind likes this.
  16. Spacey37308

Spacey37308 AK Subscriber Subscriber

My Zenith is AM/FM with electrostatic tweeters. Sounds pretty good to be 60 + years old.

rxonmymind likes this.

17. Art K.

Art K. The Voodoo You Do! Subscriber

Love my Sangean WR-11.

Tom White likes this.
  18. zebra03

zebra03 All Audio - NO BS

[​IMG]
    I have one just like this one here from the web

Te-Te likes this.
  19. rxonmymind