Takstar, rivaling BeyerD for fractions of the price

Status
Not open for further replies.
From my reading of the Headfi thread the similarities between the Takstar and Beyers are superficial at best. Again, only from what I read at Headfi, I don't see where the claim that Takstar is ripping off Beyer in any way is valid.

cubdog

I'll bet it's like the Beyer in appearance only, which doesn't do your analogy any good. I'm not going to buy one however I doubt it has a similar sound signature to the Beyer and it's probably got a lower build quality and fit and finish. It's only $50.

I have DT880s and I can't imagine anything being that precise and clear at $50, although I suppose it's possible. Still, I have reservations about buying things from a country where egregious human rights violations persist.(Sadly, for many items, there is little to no choice in todays market.)

Regards,
Dave

And what I meant by you pay for things one way or another...our country's obsession with saving a buck or two here or their at every turn instead of supporting good companies, is coming home to roost. If nobody's paid a fair wage for fair work by people paying a fair price, nobody can afford to buy anything.

I would lve to expound upon this. But, not here. It gets political far too easily.

Regards,
Dave

Still, I have reservations about buying things from a country where egregious human rights violations persist.
Dave

This in itself is political. Unfortunately human rights violations happen in every country. They have nothing to do with audio quality.

cubdog

i don't think these are direct rip offs just based on the impedance ratings they (takstar) are 68ohms and the "inspiration" on the appearance front are what like 250?? (well 32,250 or 600) so it would seem to not be a straight rip on the internals?

Last edited:
I think the appearance of Beyers are popular to rip on these days...

superlux_hd330_440_660_05.jpg

That's the new line from Superlux and no, they don't sound like DT770s.

Source: http://www.headfonia.com/the-new-superluxes-are-good-the-hd330-hd440-and-the-hd660/

That pretty much describes most of the pro audio people. They bank on volume and do not manufacture to the tolerances of high end home equipment because their customers (musicians, etc) do not demand it.

Lots of "high end" home equipment is built like crap. Early Krell preamps come to mind. Thick fancy faceplates don't mean good design/build quality.

China can build to whatever build quality the contract calls for, and you statement about pro audio just means you believe what the "high end" manufacturers want you to believe.

Listening to them now, blown away at first impressions, the build is awesome (except they could have done a better job on the top of the headbands aesthetic) review coming soon.

Lots of "high end" home equipment is built like crap. Early Krell preamps come to mind. Thick fancy faceplates don't mean good design/build quality.

China can build to whatever build quality the contract calls for, and you statement about pro audio just means you believe what the "high end" manufacturers want you to believe.

Lower tolerances or fit and finish does not mean bad sound or unreliable. Behringer equipment comes to mind. The A-500 equipment looks like cr*p but sounds heavenly. It is also very cheap and reliable. QSC amps are another case in point. Ugly as sin, but does the job.

And no, I don't equate "high end" with a conspiracy theory. Some of it is good and some of it is just "pretty". Of course, like jewelry, there is a place for pretty if you want to pay for it.

By the way, I am not a China basher. They do whatever the customer asks them to do. It is the buyer that determines what things are like.

Listening to them now, blown away at first impressions, the build is awesome (except they could have done a better job on the top of the headbands aesthetic) review coming soon.

I hope to have mine by Christmas. They will have to be really good to unseat my Digitechs. I'm looking forward to your impressions.

cubdog

My Hi2050 Review

Overview said:

Test Tracks/Albums:
Crosby Stills Nash: Just a song before I go
Andrea Bocelli: Silenzio
Depeche Mode: Personal Jesus
Chesky Four Seasons - Vivaldi
Supertramp - Breakfast In America
Pendulum - Immersion
Katie Melua - Piece by Piece
Pink Floyd - DSOTM

Build: First thing I noticed is how well the headphones were built, the aluminium feels/looks great, and the velour earpads although aren’t the highest quality of velour, they’re very comfortable. I've been wearing them for 2 hours straight.

Top of the cushion said:

Overall, Sound is incredible, completely wowed.

Bass: nice and tight (not super tight though), not bass-light or too heavy, I think they’re perfect as an all-rounder. Sounds great on instruments and electronic tracks, very well balanced

Mids - The money maker, voices sound absolutely amazing, so much detail, the best I’ve heard from a headphone yet. Really shines on vocal tracks. Put a pretty big smile on my face

Highs - Beautiful, very nice and clear, crisp. Almost a bit bright, but not fatiguing at all.

Soundstage: Shines especially on songs with a lot of separated instruments, (Jazz, PF), you definitely can hear a lot of depth as well as width.

I only have a pair of Monoprice 8323's, which I think are also excellent for the value, yet the midrange of the Takstar's are in another class, the details are so much more present. Also the bass is a slight bit tighter, + highs definitely have more detail. In addition, the soundstage is much larger, but that's what you expect from open vs. closed headphones.

That's awesome, I can't believe McIntosh peeps even know about these, just saw another pic @ stereophile

113ces.macpredac.jpg

That's awesome, I can't believe McIntosh peeps even know about these, just saw another pic @ stereophile

113ces.macpredac.jpg

This is really kind of interesting. I can't imagine McIntosh would include the Takstars in any photo if they believed them to be an inferior product. And BTW they are not an inferior product by any means.

cubdog

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom