Talk-in' 'bout, Hey now! Hey now! EICO, EICO all day...

mhardy6647

Lunatic Member
I took advantage of a rainy morning today to -- finally -- "restore" the other knob inserts on my dump-find EICO ST-40 integrated amplifier (pp 7591A, as was its big brother the ST-70). Years ago, I had found some brown textured paper at a Michael's craft store that was a pretty darned good match for the missing inserts.

I feel much better now.

In case you've never seen an ST-40 and an ST-70 together... well, now you have...

DSC_0198 by mhardy6647, on Flickr
DSC_0200 by mhardy6647, on Flickr

ST-70 on the left, ST-40 on the right. The ST-40 was hooked to a pair of Dynaco A-35XLs and playin'... not IKO, IKO, but the Wailin' Jennys when I snapped the pix.

... a few segments short of a full display...

(I think most left-handers would understand)

... but I've had that danged song stuck in my head all afternoon!

:)

Oooh, a quick lesson in two amplifiers and one set of speakers. :)

oh, I neglected to mention that Gary Kaufman kindly rehabbed and did the prescribed mods to both of these EICOs... which was very kind of him!

I took advantage of a rainy morning today to -- finally -- "restore" the other knob inserts on my dump-find EICO ST-40 integrated amplifier (pp 7591A, as was its big brother the ST-70). Years ago, I had found some brown textured paper at a Michael's craft store that was a pretty darned good match for the missing inserts.

Nice work!

The inserts, for those of you who don't own an EICO unit of that vintage, were glued in with an adhesive that dried out, became brittle, and fell off leaving the knobs without inserts. BIG problem. I fortunately found all of mine and reglued them with a neoprene cement years ago.

How did you cut the circles? Large punch?

Better than they look ;-)

I've yet to hear a bad-sounding EICO amplifier, integrated or power... maybe I am not picky (actually, no, I don't think that's the case).

Better than they look ;-)

I've yet to hear a bad-sounding EICO amplifier, integrated or power... maybe I am not picky (actually, no, I don't think that's the case).

QFT, the build quality may not have always been the best, but the SQ has never disappointed me.:music:

Back
Top Bottom