Talk me out of a D707f/D907f..

20Hz

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
I've been bitten by the Sansui bug, hard. I got a 9090db, and am sending it to trnsfmr for overhaul, and bought an AU-505 to recap myself, based on his recommendation as an excellent choice for a first recap job, and the many excellent reviews here. Bone stock it sounds amazing, and I'm really looking forward to bringing it back to it's original glory. In the meantime because I can't help myself I've been looking at Sansui integrateds on CL and the big auction site. I just missed out on a really affordable AU-717 which I was planning on getting for a recap/rebuild after I finish the 505. It seems like a sweet spot for power/build/specs. Unfortunately, I keep looking at the D707f and D907f on that auction site, and they don't really meet my requirements (relatively inexpensive and lots of information on repairing them readily available) but I had the guy with the 907 take pics of the inside and it looks like a work of art.
My thinking on getting the 717 was I would have a close to TOTL mid-late 70s integrated, which would compliment but not be redundant to the 9090db. The THD specs on the integrateds from that era are way better than the receivers. I was also looking at a 999 but i figure I have that sound, with the 505, albeit with much less wattage (doesn't matter, it's for a bedroom).
So I guess what I'm wondering is a) if I want a good representative of the near TOTL mid late 70s is the 717/719 the way to go? And more to the point, if I get a D707/907 (which are not cheap) and I find out it needs work am I going to be in a black hole of Japanese language repair manuals and unobtanium parts? Any info appreciated.

Thanks

If you do buy the AU-D707F or the 907F, they shouldn't be that hard to repair. Those are similar to the international version of the AU-D9, Au-D11. If you get the AU-D907 which is the same as AU-919 in the States. All these units should sound a little different than the 9090DB that you have, and due to being an integrated amp, they should have lower distortion than the 9090DB. But watch for the rabbit hole as I have purchased one after another. I started with AU-X711, then AU-X901, after that is B/C 2102, and then AU-717, MOS 607 Premium, AU-D707F Extra, and just last week, AU-D907X. Be prepared to spend some money once you started.

If you do buy the AU-D707F or the 907F, they shouldn't be that hard to repair. Those are similar to the international version of the AU-D9, Au-D11. If you get the AU-D907 which is the same as AU-919 in the States. All these units should sound a little different than the 9090DB that you have, and due to being an integrated amp, they should have lower distortion than the 9090DB. But watch for the rabbit hole as I have purchased one after another. I started with AU-X711, then AU-X901, after that is B/C 2102, and then AU-717, MOS 607 Premium, AU-D707F Extra, and just last week, AU-D907X. Be prepared to spend some money once you started.
Hah thanks for the warning, I feel that I'm already going down the rabbit hole. I see now that the 707f for sale is the extra, and the 907f is not. According to the seller the "Extra" designation denotes a finer phono stage (which would be nice, as I have 3 turntables). But from what I've seen of the 907F the build quality looks a little better- any thoughts on a 707F Extra vs 907F? They're pretty close in price. I'm leaning towards the 907F because the insides look more robust..

http://www.sansui.us/Issues_IntvsDomestic.htm
You will need this site to know about the differences of these amps. Each year has a new different model but the 707F Extra and the 907F doesn't sound that much different. I think starting with the 907X, the sound is getting different, it was the beginning of the twin diamond X-balance design. I could be wrong here, but lots of knowledge guys here will correct me if I am wrong.

http://www.sansui.us/Issues_IntvsDomestic.htm
You will need this site to know about the differences of these amps. Each year has a new different model but the 707F Extra and the 907F doesn't sound that much different. I think starting with the 907X, the sound is getting different, it was the beginning of the twin diamond X-balance design. I could be wrong here, but lots of knowledge guys here will correct me if I am wrong.
intersesting. yes I've seen that timeline but it's unclear what the changes were from some of those models to others. I see that your 907x is supposed to be the same(ish) as the D11ii, of which there is also one in the same price range. The guy at www.sansui.us seems to think those later models starting with the D11 were 'less powerful and lesser built than the domestic models" not sure how accurate that is. I don't need any more power than the 707f really. decisions, decisions.

The AU-D11II=AU-D707X, which is rated @130 watts. Mine AU-D907X is @160 watts. I think wattage makes a big difference in low volume listening. 9 o'clock position is all I need with the AU-D907X, whereas with the AU-D707F Extra I want to crank it to the 12 o'clock position. It's the detail that comes out where you can clearly hear all the different instrument.

I had an AU-alpha-607-extra, my first impression (some minutes of listening), was that that amp was powerful, clear, maybe a little bright, when I took it and hear it for some days my impression changed completely, it was powerful but too bright, above all after some hours of continuous listening. My AUD11 was more natural, even my AUD707 (older unit) was more listenable to me and for the music that I use to listen. So I'll suggest you take some time to decide which amplifier to keep

Well you guys did a crappy job of talking me out of it :rockon:

Attachments

• DE66322C-A848-47E7-B696-A8F953CF62B1.jpeg
    DE66322C-A848-47E7-B696-A8F953CF62B1.jpeg
    59.3 KB · Views: 75
  • FFE22A21-A08F-4728-99CB-B4DD107C0E79.jpeg
    FFE22A21-A08F-4728-99CB-B4DD107C0E79.jpeg
    64.6 KB · Views: 73
Beautiful, now you can give us your assessment.
First impressions are I'm super super impressed. At first I thought it was kind of anemic and then it (literally) warmed up- I took it straight out of the hands of the fedex driver and hooked it up to my DBT then fired it up it seemed a little bass shy, then after I messed around with some stuff and came back it started sounding pretty great. I don't know if my ears were just tired when I first heard it or if something is intermittent in the amp, or if it really was just cold and doesn't sound good at 40degF:dunno: Last night I set DC offset and Bias and it sounds really, really good. Before I crank it up a bit today I have to take a good look inside because I seem to remember a thread about some homemarket model from around this time having the black flag caps..

Back
Top Bottom