Talk with me about Frank Zappa

In the day, playing with Zappa was considered akin to attending graduate-level musician college. If you look at the list of musicians who played with him, you will see some highly respected and well-known people who went on to success in a diverse range of genres. In the years before his demise, I remember reading much critical acclaim for his symphonic and/or orchestral pieces by modern classical composers. The musicianship is there. And I also remember his PMRC hearings. The man was intelligent.

Shut Up and Play Your Guitar is one of my favorite albums, period. Weasels Ripped My Flesh is close behind, as are the ubiquitous Apostrophe and Overnight Sensation. Burnt Weeny Sandwich is also one I listen to frequently, but it does take a few listens to comprehend it all.

Nearly all of Frank's work was brilliant whether you like it or not. Period.

Nearly all of Frank's work was brilliant whether you like it or not. Period.
If you don't like it you don't like it. Period. Brainy quirky Trekkie stuff. Wasn't at Monterey, wasn't at Woodstock, wasn't on any of the teen shows, zero female fans, zero influence on anything that followed. A pop flop except for novelty songs. If I'm gonna listen to brainy stuff cuz it's "good for me" then I'll listen to classical or jazz and it will never get old. OTOH a little Zappa goes a long way IMHO.

I wrote a post about Zappa many years ago here,and at the time,I pretty much agreed with the OP.My main argument against was that I thought the lyrics were often very misanthropic,and/or misogynistic.My big exceptions are Weasels ripped My Flesh,and We're only in it for the money,which I think were more interesting lyrically to me.And here is one of my favorite Zappa stories.

I posted this picture already somewhere else, but I want to post it here again. I took in in 1980 in Germany (John Smothers watched the scene suspiciously because I was so close to the stage...). When Frank realized that I tried to make a picture he pulled faces.

Frank Zappa suffered from this world like many artists, think of Friedrich Nietzsche, for example - what drove him almost crazy is what he often called "mass stupidity". But this suffering was the source of his creative power.

fz 001.jpg

Last edited:
His tour bus was really cool. Air brushed paintings depicting things from his songs. The back had a picture of him riding a pygmy pony next to a dental floss bush. And yes his zircon encrusted tweezers were twinkling in the moon lighty night.

Was Mary on the bus or wasn't it Phydeaux III?

Frank Zappa was at a college doing an interview. Someone asked why he didn't write mainstream music. He said he didn't write music for the audience. He wrote it for himself

I've never been able to relate to most of Zappa's work. I tried a few times, and the music just didn't speak to me. However, I do like Hot Rats a lot. It's the only Zappa I liked enough to own in a physical format (LP). I also like the work he did producing Trout Mask.

Bottom line, you don't have to like everything, regardless of its stature.

So I'm always seeking out new music / artists to expand my musical pallet. On a whim I made a Frank Zappa channel on Pandora, looking for a sample of his music. I have always been interested in Frank, but had never listened to much of his music, because it didn't seem approachable to me. By that, I mean there doesn't seem to be a springboard album to start with, then dive into the rest of the collection. This could be because the body of work is so big, or because I don't know anyone who is a fan. After 3 days of Pandora tracks here is my take away.

1- The musicianship is off the charts good. Frank is a very very good guitar player. The rest of the band, which sounds like there are a lot of players, is tight, and on their game at all times. Lots of live tracks have come up, and to say the band is tight is an understatement. I haven't heard many live tracks that can match the group effort.

2- The songs are a bit like when I eat leftovers out of the fridge. I mix a bunch of stuff together, some bites are amazing, and some I can't get through fast enough. Not that it's bad, it just doesn't work for for me after the tastee bite I just finished. Add to that what seems like silly lyrics most of the time, make the songs hard to stay connected with for me.

3- Dweezil Zappa is a very good musician as well.

This post is not intended to offend fans, and I hope it doesn't come off that way. I'm hoping for insightful commentary on how my early assessment of Franks music relates to your long or short term assessment. He is a very interesting man.

Onebean

Frank Zappa was at a college doing an interview. Someone asked why he didn't write mainstream music. He said he didn't write music for the audience. He wrote it for himself
My guess is that most of the music that we enjoy was written for the composer rather than the audience.

Speaking of Phydeaux III, I guess the best way to say it was that it was an homage to the Greyhound Bus Companies image.

t_our_tour_bus_fido2_105.jpg

As for jumping off points here's a few you might enjoy!

A straight forward rocker

Mellow ethereal jazz, it's got a Vince Gauraldi/Charlie Brown type vibe.

A hard charger, with a great lineup including thee great George Duke.

Happy exploring!!! and enjoy the ride! and seeing as Halloween is right around the corner and one of his most favorite times of the year I you give some silliness

I would agree that Joe's Garage is the perfect springboard to Zappa's work. Then check out Sheik Yerbouti as it is in the same vein. Steely Dan-like tightness with very satirical lyrics and effects that would make Pink Floyd pause. Then I would jump to Freak Out and see how different yet similar it is. After that it is an endless exploration.

Saw FZ in 1988 and it may have been the best gig ever. He conducted the band- and what a band it was- like a maestro

For all you Zappa fans on Oct 31 WUSB 90.1 ( Stony Brook University on LI, NY) will do a 12 hr marathon of Zappa from noon to midnite. They also stream.Lots of really rare and interesting stuff. No affiliation just a fan and listener enjoy

Thanks @Onebean for this thread. I'm kinda in the same boat as you when it comes to Frank. Until I picked up "Ship Arriving Too Late To Save A Drowning Witch" in a thrift a while back I had little no exposure to Zappa. And that I've only listened to once. Here's a quote of mine from another thread:

I have a confession to make. This [Valley Girl] is the only Zappa song that I can say I know and I've never listened to any other Zappa because of it. All the glowing things people say about him make me think I need to check him out, but I heard Valley Girl on the radio when it came out, hated it, and from then on, to me, THAT was Zappa. I take that back, I did notice his name next to "Nanook Rubs It" on my Dr. Dimento album but I can't recall now if I liked that song or not.

I would also like to check out some more of his stuff when I get a chance so thanks everyone for the suggestions!

Well, that and he was actually kind of a dick to people and there was the no drug use policy.

Wait, for real? Is this true, he had a no drug use policy? All this time I just assumed that most of his stuff was drug fueled. Man that sheds a whole different light on him if true!

This was one of his later tours. The bus was a big custom job done up in gold and silver tones. Mostly air brushed. Sometime around '79, '80?. The Sheik Your Yerbouti tour I believe. He was promoting the album.

Last edited:
Wait, for real? Is this true, he had a no drug use policy? All this time I just assumed that most of his stuff was drug-fueled. Man, that sheds a whole different light on him if true!

Yep, that is what the books say. Coffee and cigarettes were OK but no band drug usage.

"Frank Zappa did not take drugs or drink alcohol like many people undoubtedly assume. In fact, he took an aggressive anti-drug approach to the drug culture of the 60’s, which evolved from LSD to heroine to cocaine. He believed that taking drugs would transform people and mutate their personalities and values. In believing this, he was very adamant in promoting a no drug policy among his band members, ensuring that there was no drug use while on the road touring. His hard-nosed stance led to the dismissal of fellow band members Lowell George and Ike Willis over the years."

Frank Zappa's music can be at times devilishly difficult to play. Timing changes mid-stanza, key changes seemingly at random. Super complex guitar parts barely playable by mere mortals. He was a great classical composer as well, but hated working with orchestras. I think he was a genius, his ascerbic wit blasted everything in it's path. Having the entire London Symphony Orchestra Chorus singing the refrain to "Penis Dimension" ? Just brilliant.

Back
Top Bottom