Talk with me about Frank Zappa

Yep, that is what the books say. Coffee and cigarettes were OK but no band drug usage.

"Frank Zappa did not take drugs or drink alcohol like many people undoubtedly assume. In fact, he took an aggressive anti-drug approach to the drug culture of the 60’s, which evolved from LSD to heroine to cocaine. He believed that taking drugs would transform people and mutate their personalities and values. In believing this, he was very adamant in promoting a no drug policy among his band members, ensuring that there was no drug use while on the road touring. His hard-nosed stance led to the dismissal of fellow band members Lowell George and Ike Willis over the years."

I love that! Now I’m REALLY going to make a concerted effort to check out more of his stuff!

I saw Zappa live in what I believe was his last tour. The band was incredibly tight, and the playing was intense.

Great thread. This pretty much sums it up for me. For most of the other stuff, despite being told "just listen past the lyrics," I just don't need to hear them again.

These three are favorites because the lyrics are sparse and they a bit more interesting than the silly humor stuff.

1. Hots Rats
2. The Grand Wazoo
3. Waka/Jawaka

View attachment 1031206

These three are favorites because the lyrics are sparse and they a bit more interesting than the silly humor stuff.

1. Hots Rats
2. The Grand Wazoo
3. Waka/Jawaka

Great thread. This pretty much sums it up for me. For most of the other stuff, despite being told "just listen past the lyrics," I just don't need to hear them again.

Those are great, and among my go-to Zappa selections, but they have more of a jazz sensibility. For the straight-ahead rock fan "Overnite Sensation" or "Apostrophe" might be more immediately accessible. And if you want the best of both worlds, there's always "One Size Fits All".

Yep, that is what the books say. Coffee and cigarettes were OK but no band drug usage.

"Frank Zappa did not take drugs or drink alcohol like many people undoubtedly assume. In fact, he took an aggressive anti-drug approach to the drug culture of the 60’s, which evolved from LSD to heroine to cocaine. He believed that taking drugs would transform people and mutate their personalities and values. In believing this, he was very adamant in promoting a no drug policy among his band members, ensuring that there was no drug use while on the road touring. His hard-nosed stance led to the dismissal of fellow band members Lowell George and Ike Willis over the years."

I think Zappa was simply not interested in lyrics, which is why so many are forgettable or even downright inane. But he had the ability to write them when he put his mind to it. Here's an early example:

I think Zappa was simply not interested in lyrics, which is why so many are forgettable or even downright inane. But he had the ability to write them when he put his mind to it. Here's an early example:

Exactly. One of my favorite FZ songs. BTW, that's Paul Butterfield on harmonica.

-Dave

I just listened to this the other day, you would think nothing ever changes!

I have limited exposure to Frank's music, just the usual suspects, Overnite Sensation & Apostrophe, Live At The Roxy, plus the ever popular Live at The Fillmore East with Flo & Eddie. Some good stuff on that one.

I have limited exposure to Frank's music, just the usual suspects, Overnite Sensation & Apostrophe, Live At The Roxy, plus the ever popular Live at The Fillmore East with Flo & Eddie. Some good stuff on that one.

For those interested in that period, this is an interesting DVD :

51m7SHjMgML._SY445_.jpg

I blame that Flo & Eddie stuff on my somewhat warped sense of humor and my teenaged enjoyment of rancid Budwieser.

Back
Top Bottom