Tall, thin floorstanders with great bass?

CranDaddy

My family likes to listen to LPs during dinner, mainly classical and vintage rock. I'm currently using bookshelf speakers with a sub, but that system is much better suited to another room in the house. I'd like to replace it with a pair of full-range floorstanding speakers. When I'm home alone, especially in the kitchen cooking, I like to listen to hard rock and 90s hip hop at high volume levels, so I'd prefer speakers that have great bass response, though not at the expense of overall sound quality. Also, the narrower they are the better, so as to not dominate my (rather small) dining room. Bonus points if they are wood veneered or white.

DefTech SuperTowers are a possibility, as are used GoldenEar Tritons. I'd prefer to pay less than $4000/pr. I'm intrigued by the Salk SongTowers, though I've not heard them and am concerned that bass response might not be robust. What other speakers should I consider?

Thanks,
Matt

More information about you associated equipment would be helpful. Salk makes good sounding and fantastic looking speakers.

Audio Physics and PMC would be on my short list. They will stretch your budget, so consider pre-owned.

I'd put some of the new Polk or Klipsch offerings on the short list as well--maybe even some of the used JBL Northridge series.

The ELAC UNI FI Floorstanders would be a good choice. Also, Monitor Audio Gold 300's - and they are much nicer looking abd better built than Polk, Klipsch or JBL Northridge. Bryston Middle T towers (if you want a 20 yr. warranty).

The Bryston speakers are fantastic and you cannot beat the warranty. The only reason I didn't suggest them is they don't look as sexy as the Audio Physics or PMC speakers. Based on how I read the first post, looks are very important.

To answer some comments:

I would consider used speakers, if the right situation came along.

Looks are a factor, unfortunately. Right now I've got black bookshelf speakers atop small wood end tables, plus a sub. New floorstanders should fit close to that footprint, maybe 9"w x 9"d x42"h. If they are attractive they hide their size factor, a bit.

That system includes a Project RM 1.3 turntable, Emotiva XSP-1 preamp and ERC-3 CD player (also a Tascam 122MkII, for you tape heads). All non-phono lines are balanced XLR. The speakers are self-powered, are borrowed from my home studio and need to return there.

Thanks for the replies, keep them coming.
Matt

To answer some comments:

I would consider used speakers, if the right situation came along.

Looks are a factor, unfortunately. Right now I've got black bookshelf speakers atop small wood end tables, plus a sub. New floorstanders should fit close to that footprint, maybe 9"w x 9"d x42"h. If they are attractive they hide their size factor, a bit.

That system includes a Project RM 1.3 turntable, Emotiva XSP-1 preamp and ERC-3 CD player (also a Tascam 122MkII, for you tape heads). All non-phono lines are balanced XLR. The speakers are self-powered, are borrowed from my home studio and need to return there.

Thanks for the replies, keep them coming.
Matt

Once the powered speakers are removed, what are your plans for an amplifier?

If you’ll consider used, the Platinum Audio Quattro are one of the best bass makers in a thin tower form factor extant.

You're currently using a sub and you're looking for about a 9 X 9 footprint? Don't expect those tall, thin towers, without a sub, to have the bass weight and extension that that sub adds to your current speakers.

Footprint is bigger than 9x9, but I have a pair of older Definitives, BP-30, that fit the general description. They kick out pretty decent bass.

For an amplifier, I was considering a Parasound Halo A23. It's reasonably priced, well-reviewed, and has a balanced signal path. I agree that the loss of the sub may not be fully compensated by full-range speakers, unless I got these: http://www.jtrspeakers.com/noesis-215rt.html which don't meet my budget or aesthetic needs (I wish they did!).

That's why I'm asking for recommendations. It's not out of the question to add a sub to a pair for floorstanding speakers, I was just hoping that wouldn't be necessary.

Thanks.
Matt

In his first post he said he'd prefer to come in under $4k or so.

In that price range (< $4k) I'd be all over some Bryston Mini-T w/a nice pair of the stands Bryston also offers.
And those can go low enough a sub wont be missed.

If they HAD to be floorstanders then I guess the Middle-T towers mentioned above would also get the job done...

Otherwise I'd likely pony up a bit more $$$ for some ATC SCM-40 (or find a pre-owned pair).
6 year waranty on these,so not quite the waranty Bryston offers.
But still not too bad and ATC are definitely "keepers" in my book.

Also like the PMC suggestion as well.

JSFFT

Bret P.

$4,000 is a nice budget. I was going to recommend some DCM Timeframes TF-600's off craigslist at around $150 with a small sub until I noticed your budget. Maybe take a vacation with the money saved? Good luck.

Definately Keira Knightley. Tall, thin and great.. OH bass!?!

I like those fluance signatures but I'm sure you'll need lots o power.

I got some used Triton 2's for a lot less than $4k. Great bass. Great everything. Heck, new they are less than $4k.

The Jamo C109 is supposed to play down to 30hz, if you don't mind high gloss white Amazon has intermittent sales for $199 each. I've been trying to get a pair in black or mahogany but I haven't caught these on sale.

I was able to snag a pair of the C103's in high gloss black for $169, schveet speakers.

Ignore the sales currently from Miles Kimble, they're bogus. If from Acoustic Sound Design the sale is legitimate. The regular retail price is quite a bit more and always available, I just like saving 90% lol.

They're big, 80LBs each so you might need help moving them around.

jamo-c109-dual-7-22-3-way-floorstanding-speakers.png

download (2).jpeg

Last edited:
Save a load and get Tektons.

I was going to suggest Mini-Lores. They are ~9x10” and Tekton will do custom finishes. I had the pair below in bubinga. Very nice sounding speakers with plenty of bass, though the highs could be just a touch harsh with some source material. Grilles are available, just make sure you order them at the same time as the speakers. I think they’re $75.

6489BFC6-4D3A-4087-BF4D-FC11F18F2464.jpeg

The German made Elac floor standers are very transparent with good tightly controlled base response, kind of hard to find US dealers to get a listen though
hero_CLIPPED_ELAC-FS-247-3-Schwarz-1-freigestellt-Kopie-1500x800.jpg

Back
Top Bottom