Tall, thin floorstanders with great bass?

Not sure if vintage is your thing, but I am very happy with my Infinity RS IIIBs. Great bass and only extend out about a foot from the wall.

IMG_0696.JPG

For an amplifier, I was considering a Parasound Halo A23. It's reasonably priced, well-reviewed, and has a balanced signal path. I agree that the loss of the sub may not be fully compensated by full-range speakers, unless I got these: http://www.jtrspeakers.com/noesis-215rt.html which don't meet my budget or aesthetic needs (I wish they did!).

That's why I'm asking for recommendations. It's not out of the question to add a sub to a pair for floorstanding speakers, I was just hoping that wouldn't be necessary.

Thanks.
Matt

The Halo series of amps are very good. I've owned 4 of the current Classic series amps from Parasound. All of them performed great and were reliable; I was even using them in 2 ohm loads (which they are rated for).

You might want to narrow down your speakers options before deciding 100% on an amp.

KEF R700s are about the size you are looking for 1 UNI-Q (1" tweeter - 5" midrange) and 2 x 6.5" drivers per speaker.
KEF R900s have better bass, same UNI-Q with two 8" drivers per speaker. But might be too big for your application.

If you have an opportunity check out Totem's Tribe Tower . . .they are tiny (about 3' high) but generate bass that truly makes no sense when you look at them. I'm no fan of Totem's sound in general but this model struck me as a unique 'problem solver' that sounds way better than a small speaker should.

I can recommend the PMC Twenty5.23. Small size, big sound, deep bass. A used pair might be within your budget. If not, something from System Audio might fit the bill.

If you have an opportunity check out Totem's Tribe Tower . . .they are tiny (about 3' high) but generate bass that truly makes no sense when you look at them. I'm no fan of Totem's sound in general but this model struck me as a unique 'problem solver' that sounds way better than a small speaker should.

The Tribe is in their on-wall series. o_O

Personally, I really like Totem speakers. But the OP mentions that he's looking for something that can handle rock and hip-hop at high volume levels.....Totem never comes to mind for those situations.

My family likes to listen to LPs during dinner, mainly classical and vintage rock. I'm currently using bookshelf speakers with a sub, but that system is much better suited to another room in the house. I'd like to replace it with a pair of full-range floorstanding speakers. When I'm home alone, especially in the kitchen cooking, I like to listen to hard rock and 90s hip hop at high volume levels, so I'd prefer speakers that have great bass response, though not at the expense of overall sound quality. Also, the narrower they are the better, so as to not dominate my (rather small) dining room. Bonus points if they are wood veneered or white.

DefTech SuperTowers are a possibility, as are used GoldenEar Tritons. I'd prefer to pay less than $4000/pr. I'm intrigued by the Salk SongTowers, though I've not heard them and am concerned that bass response might not be robust. What other speakers should I consider?

Thanks,
Matt
I have a pair of Goldenear Triton 2+ that I am very happy with. Well worth a listen and about $3700 a pair.

My Focal 826V Floorstanders deliver really good bass that belie the published specs. I got mine on clearance for $1500.

Back
Top Bottom