Tandberg 3011 A Woes

lildoug

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Hey there, just picked this up with a matching 3012 Integrated amp. Loving the amp but the tuner is giving me fits.

I'm getting lots of static with some bursts of actual station sound. The preset buttons don't work. The program indicator is stuck on 8. So I can't tell if it is trying to tune whatever 8 is set to or not. The only time the program display will change to "F" is when you physically touch the tuning knob. Still just puts out a funky unnatural static then.

I know that the Program presets on these can be finicky. Anyone have experience with the replacements on eBay? Any ideas? Or an experienced tech in NYC?

IMG_0168.JPG IMG_0167.JPG

Yes on all of those questions except the NYC tech - no idea on that. Soundsmith is in CT and is an expert on these but they get several hundred $$ these days to do any service on a 3000-series tuner.

At least some of your preset switches have collapsed, the #8 switch for sure based on those symptoms. When that happens, the little rubber puck with conductive paint that's normally suspended above the contacts inside the switch breaks loose from the rest of the rubber suspension holding it there, and it falls into the switch. If the conductive parts happen to end up lying across the contacts, which is quite common, it'll yank the tuner to that preset frequency every time you let go of the tuning knob.

It is not a huge job to replace the switches, and you should plan to replace all of them even if some of them "feel" ok meaning you can feel the pop back when you release the button. At this age, even if they're mint the rubber suspension will fall apart quickly once you start using it.

I'm the primary seller of the kits you mentioned (the other guy ripped off my kits by buying mine then sourcing the same parts, not to mention pumping me for technical support on his own tuner via email) and can send you the instruction sheets for servicing this tuner if you want to preview that. There's almost always more to do inside, as just dismantling the tuning system boards will often caused aging solder joints to fail. The memory batteries physically leak and start to erode the PCB traces if left in place for years, also. But, all of that stuff is predictable and the instructions cover how to address it.

You can reach me about parts or technical assistance by starting a conversation here on AK.

On the static part, does it change if you tune to a known good station while holding the knob? Can you hear the station when you're tuned to it and holding the knob? If not, you have other issues. I'd be curious what the meters are doing at that point, also.

Are you using an antenna, if so what did you use to adapt the PAL jack these come with?

John

Back
Top Bottom