Tandberg 641x intermittent static pops

Murrtallica

I've got a 641x that i got up and running a year or so ago, but haven't used it much since it generates static pops during playback. It isn't a constant static, but more like an intermittent pop, similar to a record pop. It can be heard in this video:
(mostly in the right channel in this case)

I'm not very well versed in the workings of tube reel to reels, so I have no idea how to fix this issue. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I am interested in what other's suggest too. I have a receiver that exhibits similar behavior-think it might be a cap issue, but hopefully, more knowledgeable folks will enlighten us both :confused:

I had a similar issue with my 64. It turns out the wires are loose. Re-solder it solve the problem. Try slightly touch/move those wires, if you hear the pop then you have loose solder points for that wire.

Also, loose tube feet can also cause this. Same, touch the tube and see if you hear anything.

I had a similar issue with my 64. It turns out the wires are loose. Re-solder it solve the problem. Try slightly touch/move those wires, if you hear the pop then you have loose solder points for that wire.

Also, loose tube feet can also cause this. Same, touch the tube and see if you hear anything.
Poked around the tubes and didn't stir a reaction, same with wires. Anywhere specific I should look wire wise? Maybe I didn't move the ones that could be causing an issue.

If that does not identify the issue, then you may have some falling caps/resistors etc. and I will suggest send for professional servicing because you may need to read the schematics and use a score to check the audio route.

That's probably a good idea. What's odd about it is it seems to only happen like that at the head and tail of the tape. It virtually stops once the tape is a decent way through.

Maybe static discharge when the reel rotational speed is higher at either end?

John

That’s definitely a possibility. I live in a dry environment so static is always an issue here. My Teac 3300 seems to handle it fine, so I’m guessing the Tandberg doesn’t have a way to combat it from appearing.

Or the way it was designed to combat static is currently failing due to age or buildup of crud or other reasons. The service manual probably will answer that, with a little study...

John

Check any ground wires associated with the head block, I had the same issue with a Studer and it turned out to be a ground wire connection on he block.

Back
Top Bottom