Tandberg TR2075

rhettgg

Hey now. I was given a Tandberg TR2075 receiver from my aunt and uncle last month. The right speaker crackles real loud even when the volume is all the way down. I've attached speakers to A, B, and C inputs and nothing changes. It's not the turntable or cassette deck. I took the cover off and blew all dust and hair out of it, I checked fuses, I checked all connections as far as I can see, but I'm far from a technical adept at what's inside this thing. Please advise what you recommend I do to fix this problem. I know it's a fantastic receiver and can really end up a nice addition to my gear. Thanks!

Could be the switches and pots need cleaned. Check out the "How to use Deoxit" thread in General Audio Discussions forum. The Deoxit ideas would be work for other types of electrical cleaners I think. rhettgg Welcome to AK. The owners and service manuals are here on HiFiEngine.com. https://www.hifiengine.com/manual_library/tandberg/tr-2075.shtml Just register and download for free. Search for Tandberg 2075 in the DIY, Solid State, General Audio Discussions Forums. jdurbin1 is the resident Tandberg expert on AK. Also check out the caps in the unit for leakage as identified in other threads.

Hey now. Please advise what you recommend I do to fix this problem. I know it's a fantastic receiver and can really end up a nice addition to my gear. Thanks!

If the follow up responses don't provide a solution to the problem, I recommend you post your location and seek professional or AK assistance with the repair of your unit. good luck, it is worth the work.

I second that, these Tandbergs are not the easiest beasts to work on.

On the TR-2080 I rebuilt some time ago a lot needed to be repaired. From solder connections to all capacitors (also the large filter caps) to some transistors to the speaker protection relais (unobtainium, so some tricks were needed to replace it).

But indeed, when these receivers are in good shape, they are very nice machines.

Look at the print where the large filter caps are situated; clearly leakage causing damage to the print foil. Better check on that!

Pl0Tf8D.jpg

It might also contain a number of Roederstein capacitors, rather infamous stuff (the brown ones);

BbyHZeL.jpg

Last edited:
Those green Plessey-brand filter caps are definitely prone to leakage like that.

Beyond cleaning all of the controls (esp. that one at far right/lower panel), I'd be looking for aging gold Frako caps in the power and preamp boards along with the ROE type mentioned above. Most of them are shot by now. Could also have a failing smaller transistor, which freeze spray/heat variance could help isolate. And make sure all of the screws that ground the PCB's are tight.

The signal cables seen at lower right in the last picture should also be cleaned/deoxidized, they're a known weak point at either end (preamp board and power amp board is where these four seen here end up).

John

Back
Top Bottom