Tannoy and McIntosh?

The setup was in a test environment but the room was not ideal. A little live for me. The MC3500s are a magic amp. It sems McIntosh's smallest tube amp and largest are the only Mc vintage tube amps that have what it takes for me.

They were at idle for most of the session, just more power than the Tannoys would use with out being destroyed or at least driven into a very high distortion level. I could find nothing to fault in any way. Just to repeat -NOTHING. The preamp was from Quebec. I can not remember the name but a limited production unit made by a guy who was in the computer engineering field or something like that. He made both a preamp and power amp. I wanted to hear the power amp but it was not available. Oh, both are also tube units. With the top off, it was the first preamp since seeing my first Marantz 7 that caused my jaw to drop. Others who saw it had the same question. Can you order it with a plexiglas case. The tt was a Thorens TD126 with a SME. I can not remember the cartridge.

We then subbed in the ARC D76a sets in strapped mode as they'd come close power wise to the MC3500. Well, 3db less but close enough as we could not come near using all that power anyway. The difference in sound was all amp related. The ARC signature is closer to say a Marantz 8 or 9 than any McIntosh. More air, detail, somewhat thinner, less authority, somewhat faster in delivery with less aggressiveness. The violins, something that I tend to notice were more realistic, maintained more of a sense of individuality ut not to the point of sounding like indivduals doing their own thing. The MC3500 lost some of the individuality and the violin soundstage collapsed somewhat, actually to a more realistic size than with the ARC. We then unstrapped one of the ARCs and just used it as a stereo 75 watter. Not much of a difference except in the bass. I've always found the bass when running the ARCs unstrapped as lacking in impact. Not the impact that is generally false with many amp/speaker combos. They had been scoped and were almost ruler straight to 10hz so it was not an amp issue per se. It just seemed with all the speakers I used the ARCs with the bass just did not come into where it should unless I strapped them. Running the same speakers with other amps did not exhibit this so it was something related to the ARCs. Lest it seem I'm panning the ARCs, they were really good amps. The bass was there but seemed to move to a less predominant position in the music than it should.

I would have loved to have kept the Churchills to try out for a longer period but the owner could not be convinced. He did offer to throw another cocktail listening party if I wanted to bring over my Symphonys and put them up against each other but from listening for the time I did, I know the Symphonys would slink home with their crossovers between their tails. The Tannoys were just out of the Bozak's class. Yes, I was humbled. If I had to put a % of how close the Bozaks would come, I'd venture to say maybe 70%. Yes, that much of a difference. In defense of the Bozaks, they cost me less than probably the shipping crates of the Churchills.

If you want a perfect blend of the two Tannoy drivers MEN220 will make the Co-axial design seamless. You can certainly use higher powered amps with the current line although this will depend on how loud you listen.

Thanks,
Ron-C

If anyone would like to send me a set of the Churchills or Westminsters I would be more than happy to listen to them for several months with all genres of music and write a thorough review of how they perform with my C2200/MC275 rig. You can thank me later. :naughty:

Brian,

Thank you for your experiences with the Churchill’s. I'm thinking the Mc-3500's will be a little overkill for the Churchill’s. The Mc-3500 is better sounding at or past the 10o'clock position on my preamp. I'm leaning to the Westminster’s.

As far as the Bozaks go these two speakers are completely different designs. Comparing these two together is not fair
Bozak always had a very unique sound and you know when you're listening to Bozaks.
Your Symphony’s are designed to fill a large room with a wide soundstage.
The Tannoy Churchill’s seem to be a more near field design being a horn loader. Just a guess I would imagine more 3D layering of voice and instruments where as the Bozaks sound is further back but wider.
Bozaks would mate better with the Mc-3500's but I'm not in the market for the big Bozaks.

Thanks again for the response

Ed

All the Tannoy Prestige speakers will sound wonderful with Mac gear! Also the vintage stuff will sound lovely; reds, blacks, and the rest if they are within spec.

All the Tannoy Prestige speakers will sound wonderful with Mac gear! Also the vintage stuff will sound lovely; reds, blacks, and the rest if they are within spec.[/QUOTE

I really do like the Prestige series especially the larger models. I have not listened to the Churchill’s but have heard mixed reviews on them. I had to ask about the Mc-3500 pairing with them.

I'm going to say the Westminster’s are truly a special breed. Probably going to be my last final speaker purchase.

Forget about underpowered tube amps on the Tannoy prestige, these speaker love Class A solid state or high current ballsy tube amps...and they do rock! There is an excellent review on the Kennsington written by Steve Guttenburg in Home Entertainment.

Forget about underpowered tube amps on the Tannoy prestige, these speaker love Class A solid state or high current ballsy tube amps...and they do rock! There is an excellent review on the Kennsington written by Steve Guttenburg in Home Entertainment.

I would think a 350watt/ch tube amp should drive a pair of Westminsters without any issues:yes:

Who is Steve Guttenburg? :boring:

100% agree. I dont understand why but good SS + my Canterbury do the job just right.

[QUOTE = "tom1356, post: 3552445, member: 418"] A sua opinião é baseada em ouvir?
Mac is nice stuff but certainly not out of Tannoy's league.
Tannoy's work best with low power high quality tube amps.
No one in their right mind would use even the best Mac with Tannoy Westminster's for instance.[/QUOTE]

I know the topic is very old, but I want to leave my opinion, it can be useful for someone! I have kuzma XL + C2300 + 2 x MC 275 (1 Mc 275 for each loudspeaker) + Tannoy Westminster Royal, plays very well without costing a fortune! Excellent stage, timbre allied to good power, without causing auditory fatigue!

Indeed............. McIntosh and Tannoy would definitely play well together. Can't imagine why they would not. Especially McIntosh tube gear.

Any one remember Frank Gow? Gordon's son. He told me he loved Tannoy and the perfect amp for a pair of Westminsters was a 275. I don't remember which version. He and I both grew up with Concert Grands and 275's. I bi-amped mine, his weren't. He thought Grands were a little warm and fuzzy. Well I tell you a pair of DC-300a's will fix that. Throw in pairs and pairs of Celestion super tweeter tri-amped and they will twinkle with the best of them. But Frank preferred point source with a little help and a Tannoy with that woofer acting like a horn is a perfect solution. And Like the Altec 604 and JBL version with the right crossover from Urei can produce a Square wave. Try that with other speakers. Dunlavy is the only one I am aware of. Unless you want to talk full range electro statics or maybe, maybe, Rogers IDS speaker. Any way Frank Always use to give me a hard time about how I was missing out on the spectacular sound of Tannoy with Mcintosh tube amps. He knew I found Tannoys could be a little screechy, and was why they had the very flexible crossovers. He also knew with the very well controlled bass the Tannoys didn't need amps with a high damping factor. He loved big Tannoy all models, he also loved 275's and MC 3500's. The little MC 225 he thought was special, too. Especially for efficient speakers like the big Tannoys and Klipsch. Frank and I never talked about Tannoy and SS by others . He knew it was something I had heard and didn't like. We never talked about Mac SS with Tannoy. He preferred tubes, that was obvious for Tannoy. I don't know if Frank ever got a chance to have his dream system at home. You would have to ask Steve Rowell?.

Thanks for bringing up the subject of tannoy and Mac. It brings back many fond memories of Frank Gow.

Last edited:
Indeed.......... I, too, miss Frank. He made spending one's money on stereo gear as much fun as it possibly could be. This silly game was diminished with his passing. May he RIP.

Knowing Frank he has worked a deal with Gabriel and every neglected 275 and 3500 have found their way to Franks Place to power the Best Westminsters that are only in the chief designer at Tannoy dreams.

Last edited:
Currently I have a pair of DMT system 10's and the infamous Tannoy Ardens paired with my Mc, no complaints from me at all.

Yes, I power my Westminster Royal GRs with MC2301s with great results! A sublime pairing!

Attachments

• 15A56914-D5CF-4F45-9CFF-E4C656758DF1.jpeg
    15A56914-D5CF-4F45-9CFF-E4C656758DF1.jpeg
    57.8 KB · Views: 34
  • 7EA40D2C-D1A8-4AC7-9D37-51C91635DA02.jpeg
    7EA40D2C-D1A8-4AC7-9D37-51C91635DA02.jpeg
    33.6 KB · Views: 34
Back
Top Bottom