Tannoy Arden amp matching recommendation

PapaVerde

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Hey AK friends,

I had the opportunity to acquire a pair of Tannoy Arden's this week. Always wanted a pair! They sound remarkable, but I think they need a bit more control and response than my current amps. Does anyone have any experience with Tannoys that could recommend an amp for this particular model?

Attachments

• IMG_0949.JPG
    IMG_0949.JPG
    64.2 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_0959.JPG
    IMG_0959.JPG
    42.5 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_0955.JPG
    IMG_0955.JPG
    128 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_0947.JPG
    IMG_0947.JPG
    64.4 KB · Views: 51
so I've noticed not many people respond about British stuff or Tannoy. Is there a better forum than AK for this kind of gear?

you could try the speaker forum. it might help if you listed your current amps also. ive been trying out some Tannoy Cheviots. My Tube amps sound the best on them so far very nice speakers.

I own a pair of the same Tannoys as you. I love them, but that should come as no surprise to you. ;)
There's a faction of people that swear that these Tannoys were made with tube amps in mind, low powered SET, etc.
Now that may be true, I have never owned any type of SET amp, but I have since switched from a dynaco ST70 (VTA) to a SS Sansui amp.
The differences between the two amps that I tried are negligible.

There's a faction of people that swear that these Tannoys were made with tube amps in mind, low powered SET, etc.

The Arden Mk1 use HPD drivers and the Arden Mk2 use K-series drivers. These drivers need more power than a SET amp can provide.

My Berkeleys use the 15" K series 3828 drivers. I find the class A Luxman L-590ax is a very good match.

The Arden Mk1 use HPD drivers and the Arden Mk2 use K-series drivers. These drivers need more power than a SET amp can provide.

My Berkeleys use the 15" K series 3828 drivers. I find the class A Luxman L-590ax is a very good match.

Yeah, these are the earlier version. I have tried my Primaluna Prologue Premium integrated and there is a little too much midrange presence even with the crossover adjusted. The amp is perfect for my Spendor BC-1's, but not so for the Tannoy. I had a Luxman 505-UX a while back, sold it as it lacked some life with my gear at the time. It likely was a perfect match for this. Can't have it all at the same time sadly!

Yes there is a better site for "British Audio" called Art of Sound my Westminster build got something like 40,000 plus hits where here......and I'm not complaining, only 7000. Say no more.

Yes there is a better site for "British Audio" called Art of Sound my Westminster build got something like 40,000 plus hits where here......and I'm not complaining, only 7000. Say no more.

Thanks I just checked it out to see what's going on.

On amp news, I got bored and tried it with my little Kenwood 5002 and it sounds surprisingly good. Who would have thought!

Hey
I tried a sys schiit (passive pre)and a eico hf 87 with my tannoy cheviot's. With mixed results. It seemed to be very perticular with the source. Meaning some records sounded good some bad. The same with cd's and radio. I switched out to a tube pre with the Eico and it seemed to clear up that problem. I've since moved on to an old Teac as 201 ss integrated amp. With good results.
My tech seemed to believe it could be related to damping.
They have pushed my Cornwalls into the kitchen. (For now )
Eric

My main speakers are ancient Tannoy111/LZs,10 inch Reds and i love them dearly,they require minimum watts to produce a detailed and rich sound.Once youve got the dual-concentric bug its hard to go back to more conventional fare.
l also use a pair of Tannoy 638s for party volume and they simply kick ass....
l have far too many speakers around the place ive picked up here and there but apart from my Opera Divina Callas beasts i find my self glued to the Tannoys more often than not.Happy listening,you have some fine speakers.

Back
Top Bottom