Tannoy Dual Concentric 609 speakers in the house

doctor fuse

I made a bit of extra cash this week, being a "Special Skills" extra in a movie shoot, and overdubbing some viola on a pop album my friend is producing.

To celebrate, I bought a pair of Tannoy 609s. I paid more than I usually would, $200, I guess because of the extra income. They include the stands.

I'm playing them through an old Electrohome SET tube receiver, and they sound really good. Fairly deep bass, and very nice treble from what look like brass horns in the center of the woofers.

I've filled the stands with kitty litter by unscrewing the top mounting plate. And I have read that the speakers themselves can be filled. But I can't figure out how to fill them. The "glass" top seems like it might be able to be pried off, but using a screwdriver to pry will cause damage.

The bottom speaker cover has three holes, with what look like three plastic screw covers, set in fairly deep, so that I can't figure out how to get them off to see if screws are accessible under there.

Does anyone know if they can indeed be filled? Does anyone have a users manual?

IMG-1414.JPG IMG_1419.JPG IMG_1418.JPG IMG-1416.JPG

Don't try to fill the speaker. It's not like a Wharfedale (hollow panels). The only result would be to reduce effective internal cabinet volume- which would disrupt the bass response.

Those speakers are remarkably good. With the stands filled, there's not much they don't do well.

Regards,
Gordon.

For their size,in my experience theyre devastatingly good little speakers.l have a pair of their big brothers-the 638,same idea in bigger box with obviously extended bass.l must admit im a dual-concentric partisan,nothing sounds quite so good in my opinion but i guess we all have to discover what suits us.
Owning the 609s may well sharpen your appetite to hear the larger Tannoys.Happy listening.

Nice purchase, but PLEASE leave them alone. The cabinet volume and every other aspect of the speaker is designed to offer ultimate performance as it came from the factory. When you say the speakers "can be filled, too," I hope you are not talking about kitty litter as you did with the stands? Surely not. The only thing you could "fill" the speakers with would be an acoustic damping material of some kind, but, again, they are well designed as is. Just leave them alone and enjoy your nice little speakers!

GeeDeeEmm

Nice purchase, but PLEASE leave them alone. The cabinet volume and every other aspect of the speaker is designed to offer ultimate performance as it came from the factory. When you say the speakers "can be filled, too," I hope you are not talking about kitty litter as you did with the stands? Surely not. The only thing you could "fill" the speakers with would be an acoustic damping material of some kind, but, again, they are well designed as is. Just leave them alone and enjoy your nice little speakers!

GeeDeeEmm

The kitty litter wasn't used! :)

What size is the driver? I ask because it looks very familiar. I have some Tannoys that were used in a ceiling application, and the face of the driver looks identical except for the shape of the frame.

Last edited:
What size is the driver? I ask because it looks very familiar. I have some Tannoys that were used in a ceiling application, and the face of the driver looks identical except for the frame.

That same driver WAS used in a ceiling speaker, some Tannoy commercial/indoor/outdoor speakers, and in some Tannoy studio monitors of the time. I've actually used the tweeter diaphragm from one of the ceiling speakers (which can sometimes be found fairly cheaply, as unmatched single units) to repair one of the studio monitors which had a bad diaphragm.

Regards,
Gordon.

Back
Top Bottom