Tannoy Monitor Red 12" score.

Goldjazz

Hi all, I was very fortunate to score these beauties last night. Well built custom cabinets, drivers are immaculate inside. Interesting the wires to the two driver go directly out of the cabinet. The crossover is neatly pocketed in the cabinet. Its cable is thoughtfully secured with string beneath the driver for someone in the future.
Havent fired these up yet. Was going to biamp them. Can anyone recommend hi and low pass crossover points and slope? Or should I just try to sort out the crossover and use it?20160826_080051.jpg 20160826_001317.jpg 20160826_001301.jpg 20160826_001310.jpg

Cheers guys. Next Step is to get the original crossovers working with them as, I think it'll work better than the electronic crossover I'm using.

Listening to them now...they are beautiful

I never got a chance to listen to my reds, one was blown, so I sold them, still for a hefty sum, but I also have golds, which to me seem to lack nothing, although I know a crossover rebuild is due. For what ever reason the character of these tannoy speakers just seems to shine.

Great score, enjoy.

Is this the cross over you have:
Tannoy_Red_crossover.jpg

I never got a chance to listen to my reds, one was blown, so I sold them, still for a hefty sum, but I also have golds, which to me seem to lack nothing, although I know a crossover rebuild is due. For what ever reason the character of these tannoy speakers just seems to shine.

Great score, enjoy.

Is this the cross over you have:
Tannoy_Red_crossover.jpg

Cool. Yeah I've never owned Tannoys before. Had plenty of other very decent speakers. Trying to put my finger on what I'm hearing, there is a natural, delicate, musical thing about their sound, smooth never shrill.

I think so....Not sure which crossover yet as it's hidden under a felt pad in the rear wall of the dampening material.

Interesting, so your crossover is now bypassed? The reds did not have level adjustments, which from what alot of the gold crossover rebuild threads I've read, is a good thing, I'm undecided though. I'm sure you can find the crossover points easily enough, or let your ears guide you on that. There is a yahoo tannoy group that is pretty good source of information. I have to imagine if you are using these with an external cross over you are really hearing the driver in all it's glory.

Interesting, so your crossover is now bypassed? The reds did not have level adjustments, which from what alot of the gold crossover rebuild threads I've read, is a good thing, I'm undecided though. I'm sure you can find the crossover points easily enough, or let your ears guide you on that. There is a yahoo tannoy group that is pretty good source of information. I have to imagine if you are using these with an external cross over you are really hearing the driver in all it's glory.

Yeah its quite strange. Its as though whoever ordered these speakers has them built with the crossovers inside ready to attach if they wanted them but with 4 leads coming striaght from the drivers out of the box. So here is the crossover inside.

Attachments

• 20160827_001759.jpg
    20160827_001759.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 37
ok figured it out. and now listening to one speaker with the internal crossover! So what someone has done was remove the 4 pin plug from the driver to the crossover and replaced it with a cable that goes direct from the driver to the outside. Why would they do this? One tought was the crossover died and because it's sealed they couldn;t be bothered fixing it or removing it. This was what I thought but took a punt and attached it and it sounds great Will do the other one next, hopefuly its ok too.

ok so my theory about a busted crossver may be right. I opened the second one and the cable from the crossover to the speaker has been snipped, but again the snipped bit with its plug is thoughtfully left inside the cabinet. The crossover in the second cabinet must be dead. That person then decided to attach and external crossover of some type. Check continuity between terminals at back and snipped lead and continuity is good. I think I'll need to examine this crossover more carefully before hooking it back up to the driver.

As much as we love our 2/3 way quality speakers{KLH 1/2/3}that we share when you move into single point source speakers its like shifting into another gear for cohesion and clarity in many cases.Its why I'm a big Stephens tru-sonic fan and own multiple pairs.On Tubes the Tannoy really shine
You have a gem of a speaker there Goldjazz

hunter

As much as we love our 2/3 way quality speakers{KLH 1/2/3}that we share when you move into single point source speakers its like shifting into another gear for cohesion and clarity in many cases.Its why I'm a big Stephens tru-sonic fan and own multiple pairs.On Tubes the Tannoy really shine

hunter

I have golds that I don't use often, but don't know that I could part with them ever, just for that reason.

Reconnected the snipped wire to its cable and plug in the second speaker. Noted the continuity to one of the terminals was a little intermittent. Gave the terminal a spray with deoxit and scratched it up with some brass wool. Reconnected it and it sounds perfect! I think some poor fellow was getting trouble from this speaker and thought the crossover was kaput, it seems the original problem may have just just been a corroded terminal and the elaborate bi-pass was totally unnecessary. So now listening to the par with their original crossovers and man do they sound spectacular. Definitely better than with the electronic crossover I was using before. The Tannoy crossover is obviously carefully matched to the impedance of the drivers and has been carefully considered to properly EQ them.

hunter

Yeah i agree. I have dabbled a little with concentric drivers and always enjoyed it. I have a single Goodmans Axiom 80, and a pair of Pioneer PAX-30G. I've also had a few listening experiences with Altec 604's. I think the Tannoys benefit form this coherence effect and also have wonderful detail and a smoothness and balance to them.

Back
Top Bottom