Tannoy owners thread

Those D700's are looking great and are highly regarded. I don't know much about bi-amping, but isn't the usual thing to do to use SS for the low end and tubes for mid and up?

Those D700's are looking great and are highly regarded. I don't know much about bi-amping, but isn't the usual thing to do to use SS for the low end and tubes for mid and up?

The primary reason many implement SS on the low usually this will be the more powerful amp. Often the tube eqpt will simply be insufficiently rated to drive the low end adequately at higher SP levels. My situation is reversed, 125w tube monoblocks (VTA M125) and a 100w/ch SS amp. All those tube watts lend freedom to bi-amp either way. I do find the tubes lend a fuller and richer tonal quality, versus situating the amps the other way around. And overall my system is more dynamic sounding then when I was powering the speakers via only the SS amp. But then I am more then doubling the available power.

Last edited:
Makes perfect sense to me, Legrace. I love those VTA amplifiers (used to own a VTA ST-70).
I'm sure it sounds absolutely stunning with the combination of speakers and amps.

I've had these little Tannoy PBM 6.5 'studio monitor' speakers (on the right) for a while, I like them a lot. They're your basic 6.5" 2 way speaker with all Vifa drivers, including the popular D19 3/4" tweeter that went into so many countless classic speakers. Surprisingly deep, punchy bass with a pleasant midrange and sweet treble.
They're great speakers overall and well suited for pleasure listening because they do have a slight midrange dip. Said midrange dip does set them apart from ruler flat studio monitors.
They do cross over the small tweeter way lower than it's designed for, probably because the PBM 6.5 are designed for nearfield, not for cranking it very loud, so some care is needed.
Anyway, if anyone ever comes across these at a good deal, usually way under $200, they are a very nice grab!

I was gifted my super reds SRM12x's about a year back, teamed up with my Yamaha cr1000 I did find they could be a tad on bright side depending on the source music, but since switching to a full tube set up it's really mellowed them out, they sound wonderful! So much detail! No desire to change things up anytime soon. :)

9772_CA11_4410_46_D7_A858_0_B862_D47_F58_A.jpg

85329_B3_D_1127_46_E2_A48_F_8_AED73_FD21_D9.jpg

08_B9_A937_E5_DC_4088_A774_78_A914_EDA351.jpg

Heya fellows!

I was just wondering, is putting new vinyl film on old sixes so they don't look so ugly sacrilege, or do you think it's alright? I'm asking because I'm about to do something like this to some slightly more, uh, concentricer sixes.

wdQW8io.jpg

(These fellas are really bright btw. 607 Mk1. I might try to replace the cap in them and see if that helps.)

As a bonus here's a couple tannoys I haven't seen in this thread before:
3pzqhMC.jpg

Tannoy Titans. They sound about-as-good-but-not-quite-as the 607s. Personally I like how they look.

Picked up the Tannoy Ardens this weekend. WOW. I've had them around 12 hours, and I'm already a huge Tannoy fan now. I'm in Love. These things rock. The SPACIOUS sound. They boogie. The clarity rivaling electrostatics (I used to own Quad 57's). Only "downside" is they are huge, but I find them attractive/classic. I'm going to welcome myself to the "seemingly small around these parts" Tannoy club, haha. I would have a really hard time picking between these and my KEF 107's. Definitely pros and cons of both. Better keep both :)

Verrrrry sweet. And if you ever get the bug and want to go "more vintage." You can recone the HPD's, which btw I think sound really good, with a Monitor Gold kit and have MG 15's "on the cheap." In any event nice going. There is nothing like a Tannoy DC. Oh and one other thing you might want to think about down the road is a larger, folded horn cabinet. DC's like a lot of cabinet volume to get the max performance out of them. But if and until then, enjoy!!! :)

Thanks for this tip. I was thinking about a potential future re-cone, wondering if cones available. For this speaker, at least the one website I was on said the original cone is obsolete and not available. So if I ever do need to re-cone, I might HAVE to go with the Monitor Gold cones.

These speakers are freakin' sweet, although I do need to deoxit the tweeter level control. One of them is very scratchy, and even cuts out the speaker and/or plays at reduced volume. Got it working "For now" by switching the tweeter output to maximum, but I still hear it cutting out every now and then. Waiting on my can of deoxit to arrive. At least these speakers are fairly easy to work on...big driver = big hole to get your hands/head in!

@Hawkeye83 time to build some Westminster cabs! I think I have the plans laying around somewhere.

I don't have near the time or patience or woodworking skill or tools...or...or...that would be awesome though. My Dad's buddy is a professional woodworker though, maybe I can get him to do it. Just need a bigger house first.

I was going to take an AK break for Lent but...ehhh...I'm giving up other things too, I will allow myself a little AK.

One of my Tannoys is MUCH quieter than the other. Here is my plan to address that, let me know if I'm missing anything.

plan:
- swap speaker wires, see if low side follows or stays (speakers vs amp) - tried this, problem remains with the left speaker
- swap the speakers themselves...see if problem might be PLACEMENT/room-related - doubtful, but worth a shot.
- possibly try different speaker wires - one of my connections is slightly looser
- re-do speaker extension with crimp instead of wire nuts - when I put new binding posts on the speakers, I used wire nuts to extend the length of the internal wiring in the speakers; it's possible I have a bad connection? Anyway, I will feel better to re-do with crimp connectors
- remove speakers and test resistance to ensure they match - photograph it! - might as well check while they're out!
- remove speaker crossover/controls and clean with deoxit - reinstall and test - I think this is most likely, since the controls on one of the speakers was scratchy. I did spray both with deoxit, while still inside the cabinet. I don't detect anymore scratchiness, but I think I should just remove the controls and make sure I get a good spray of deoxit where it needs to go
- if no improvement, rebuild crossovers (re-cap)
- if no improvement, have speakers re-coned or buy preamp with level/balance controls

Back
Top Bottom